How should I store my components?

Mar 5, 2018
So I recently discovered that I need to replace my motherboard. I was curious about how to store my other components while I wait for a replacement board to arrive it the mail.

I want to make sure that none of my other components are damaged physically or by static discharge while I wait. What would you do to protect them? Is there something I could purchase in store that would be beneficial? Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution

Just put them in a cardboard box and your fine don't stress it.
How long will this motherboard take?
Generally speaking, you could leave everything on a shelf or table if you know nothing is going to break it or fall on it.
The second option is to put everything back in the packages it came in (if you have it).

The only thing you really need to worry about is the processor, you can order a new plastic clamshell for it if you dont have one, but youll honestly have more chances to break it by ordering a new shell and moving it a second time.

Mar 5, 2018

I'm still sorting out the replacement of the board so everything is still in my case at the moment. Once I disassemble everyrhing and send it out I would say between 1-2 weeks at most until the I have the new one.

Theres really only 3 things you need to worry about.
The GPU is going to take care of itself, you can just leave it somewhere it wont physically be damaged.
The RAM is basically the same story, store it on something non conductive and make sure it dosent get damaged (dust wont be an issue over that short of a time).
The CPU is the main issue, but its still not that bad. If it has pins, make sure they dont get bent.

Mar 5, 2018

Do you think leaving them in my empty case on a table would be fine? I don't have any plans to move the case during the waiting period so if I place the CPU in there it shouldbt be a problem correct?

Mar 5, 2018

Alrighty, thanks for the advice. :)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Just put them in a cardboard box and your fine don't stress it.

Solution