Question How should I transport my pc. Help fast as possible

May 9, 2019
So I’m going to my friends house and He lives an hour away and I’m going to be staying there for a couple weeks and when I am going there I want a way to take my PC so can I take my PC in the box of the case because I built my PC so can I transport it in the PC case box and thing is I will be at a indoor water park for 2 days then I’m going to his house so is it ok for me to leave a PC in a hot car tbh I don’t think so , so I will go with a professionals word

USAFRet

Titan
Shipping/moving
The life of a PC, from construction to your living room:
Factory -> conveyor belt -> forklift -> warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> forklift -> shipping container -> ship -> ocean -> big giant forklift thing to grab the shipping container -> ground -> forklift -> truck -> warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> Newegg warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> distro warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> local UPS center -> forklift -> truck all day in the summer heat (or winter cold) -> UPS guy drops it (literally) on your porch.

And you're worried about a few miles in the back of your car?

May 9, 2019
Do I have to unplug anything well I’m unplug the PC it’s self (joke btw) but mean hdd or gpu or ram and if I do I wonder y do prebuilt don’t remove that and I will not be driving the car someone else is I can hold the box stiff

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Typically, you'll want to remove the GPU and maybe the CPU cooler, if it is a heavy air cooler, for shipping a computer.

For transporting an hour, just lay it on its side. Such that any GPU is supported by the motherboard and the CPU cooler is resting on the CPU. That is the most stable configuration. Place it on top of a towel so it doesn't get scratched and make sure it can't slide around by packing things around it.

You can leave it in a hot car as long as it isn't in direct sunlight. The internal components get that hot during normal operation.

Have fun.

May 9, 2019
Typically, you'll want to remove the GPU and maybe the CPU cooler, if it is a heavy air cooler, for shipping a computer.

For transporting an hour, just lay it on its side. Such that any GPU is supported by the motherboard and the CPU cooler is resting on the CPU. That is the most stable configuration. Place it on top of a towel so it doesn't get scratched and make sure it can't slide around by packing things around it.

You can leave it in a hot car as long as it isn't in direct sunlight. The internal components get that hot during normal operation.

Have fun.

So first I have a Amd stock cooler and I was wondering can I put it in the box the case came in bc I built my PC and lay a towel on top so heat doesn’t get to it and place it in the back seat sideways until I’m in the water park and when I’m leaving I can rest it on my lap bc the car is gonna be full?

May 9, 2019
Shipping/moving
The life of a PC, from construction to your living room:
Factory -> conveyor belt -> forklift -> warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> forklift -> shipping container -> ship -> ocean -> big giant forklift thing to grab the shipping container -> ground -> forklift -> truck -> warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> Newegg warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> distro warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> local UPS center -> forklift -> truck all day in the summer heat (or winter cold) -> UPS guy drops it (literally) on your porch.

And you're worried about a few miles in the back of your car?
Built my PC so yea

May 9, 2019
If you want you can put it in the box, going to make it larger.

Not sure I would want to ride with it bouncing on the knees, but I did worse in my youth.
Yea the problem is it’s a 5 person car and we have 5 people including me so the PC has to be on my lap or where my feet are but that wouldn’t be sideways it be standing upright

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Put the PC in the trunk, it will be fine. Maybe put some bags/towels on top of it so it can't bounce up if you guys hit a really big bump, but that is about it. Far more robust then they seem.

When you finally get to your destination, open it up and give it a quick inspection before turning it on. You would want to check for loose components or cables.

Back in the day we used to take machines to actual lan parties and events. Indianapolis, Chicago, Louisville and our own local stuff. I've had machines in the backs of pickup trucks, hatchbacks, huge sedans. Haven't lost one yet.

Chicago I did have to reseat the memory, but that was it. Still have that machine.

Now GPUs weren't quite the monsters they are today, but most of the mid-range ones would be similar in weight. As long as you have the motherboard secure and the GPU slotted in well and secure it isn't going to go anywhere.

As USAFRet mentions, it has survived way more punishment in getting to you. If you are REALLY worried, like I said, take the GPU out and put it in its box.

Stock CPU cooler should be fine.

May 9, 2019
I would venture that the trunk is safer than your lap.
It won't move around, you won't drop it, the other two guys in the back seat with you won't get pissed at this giant box sucking up all the space...
Put the PC in the trunk, it will be fine. Maybe put some bags/towels on top of it so it can't bounce up if you guys hit a really big bump, but that is about it. Far more robust then they seem.

When you finally get to your destination, open it up and give it a quick inspection.
Yea I will set up the PC right as soon as I get to his place bc that’s my baby and I love it to death(too much?) and my friends car has ropes in the back to tie things down use them or nah

I put my full tower (did not disconnect anything inside) and transported in the trunk of my car which was driven from New Jersey to California over the course of a week in the beginning of July. It was was surrounded by my other things for extra cushioning.

Everything got to my house ONE WEEK LATER, connected the power cable, monitor, etc. and the computer fired right up.

An two day trip will be FINE, you are freaking out over nothing.

TRENDING THREADS