[SOLVED] How should I upgrade my HP Compaq Pro 6300 Microtower

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerma16

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
I have an old Hp 6300 microtower with an amd R7 250 gpu.
I wanted to upgrade my gpu realized that I'd have to upgrade my PSU and if I wanted to upgrade my PSU I'd first have to upgrade my Motherboard.
So first off what mother board and PSU will be compatible with my case or will I have to buy a new one?
Also am I just better off buying a new system or is there any point in upgrading this one?

Also my current system
Intel Core i5-3470
8 GB ram
2 500 GB hard disk
Amd R7 250

Last edited:
Solution
What about this guide will it work?
That seems to be a solid resource, but I would call moddiy and see if they have a plug and play solution for this. Even I would be a bit nervous about swapping wires around because one wrong move and you'll probably toast the motherboard, power supply, or everything connected. :eek: And this is from someone who regularly pulls pwm pins from fan connectors so I've pretty much messed around with swapping pins before.

kerma16

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
Yeah, about time for a whole new system.

Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM
And then of course a new PSU to run the GPU.

A new case to put it all in.

Only viable holdovers are possibly hard drives. And then only as secondary drives.
You want a good SSD in there...;)
Thing is my all my components minus the gpu are enough I sometimes play games that aren't too graphic intensive Age of empires, civ and total war games and some Photoshop.
Also I'm on a tight budget so is it possible to upgrade my current one?

USAFRet

Titan
Thing is my all my components minus the gpu are enough I sometimes play games that aren't too graphic intensive Age of empires, civ and total war games and some Photoshop.
Also I'm on a tight budget so is it possible to upgrade my current one?
Well, if it currently works, then no real need of a major change.

If the current motherboard is not ATX spec, then to take a new PSU you'd need a new motherboard, that matches your existing CPU and RAM.
Also, if it is not ATX, then a new motherboard won't work with the HP case.

What PSU is in it now?

kerma16

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
Well, if it currently works, then no real need of a major change.

If the current motherboard is not ATX spec, then to take a new PSU you'd need a new motherboard, that matches your existing CPU and RAM.
Also, if it is not ATX, then a new motherboard won't work with the HP case.

What PSU is in it now?
The one that came with the system.

Luckily you have the tower version of that. I haven't been able to find anything conclusive as of yet, but it looks like a power supply upgrade should be fairly easy using any standard power supply and a power supply adapter from moddiy.com. Once you've upgraded the power supply, you should be able to use a newer gpu. You can also upgrade to an i7-3770k to max it out.

kerma16

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
Luckily you have the tower version of that. I haven't been able to find anything conclusive as of yet, but it looks like a power supply upgrade should be fairly easy using any standard power supply and a power supply adapter from moddiy.com. Once you've upgraded the power supply, you should be able to use a newer gpu. You can also upgrade to an i7-3770k to max it out.
So I can just get a new PUS and a 24 pin to 6 pin adapter?

kerma16

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
Yep, but the adapter is key--I would call moddiy and MAKE SURE it will 100% work with your motherboard before going out and buying everything. Otherwise you are stuck with what power you have.

That seems to be a solid resource, but I would call moddiy and see if they have a plug and play solution for this. Even I would be a bit nervous about swapping wires around because one wrong move and you'll probably toast the motherboard, power supply, or everything connected. :eek: And this is from someone who regularly pulls pwm pins from fan connectors so I've pretty much messed around with swapping pins before.

Solution

kerma16

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
Okay, I'll try that.
Thanks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.