[SOLVED] How should I upgrade my PC for 1440p gaming?

RossTheGuy

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
I recently gathered 1000 euros to upgrade my old gaming pc so I can game in 1440p. I havent followed the recent releases of PC components and dont know what would be best for reasonable 1440p gaming. I have old parts I plan to use again but I still need a new motherboard RAM CPU and GPU. Would prefer to go with Ryzen but I am not sure which exactly parts I should pick for 1000 euros. Any help would be great.

Solution
It is definitely the worst time for GPU and newest CPU purchase. And seems will remain like that till at least this summer. To play at 1440 with acceptable picture quality and frame rate around 60 FPS or more, you will need AMD or Intel CPU no older than 2 generations, at least 16 GB RAM, SSD drive and definitely good GPU. Something like RTX 2600, RX 5700 or better. And if you can still play with other parts, GPU must be good.

An idea for poor man's system with decade old Xeon 3470 CPU (i7@870 sibling) RTX 2060 Super GPU and Asus VG27AQL1A monitor, used with 1440p resolution for some time

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pY84Gq

and new rig with same GPU and monitor, but Ryzen 7 5800X CPU and B550 MOBO...
Right now is a really bad time to buy PC parts for a DIY build. Because of low stock, scalpers, mining, etc prices for graphics cards & CPUs are higher than ever. For the GPU, either of these budget options will do if you can find them at a good price:
  • 5700XT
  • 2070 Super
  • 6700XT (hasn't come out yet)
  • 3060Ti

For CPU:
  • 3600X
  • 3700X
  • 5600X

For the Mobo I'd recommend a b550 since they're cheap budget boards suitable for the latest AMD ryzen gen (5000 series). And for RAM, the best price to performance setup is 16GB (2x8GB) at 3200MHz.

But as I said, it's a bad time to find and buy parts, you may need to get a pre-built PC if you really want a computer today. I'd wait if I was you until things settle down, which they may not for a good few months.

signum_

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
This really depends on a few things. What's your goal benchmark here? What games are you planning on playing? And most importantly, how long are you willing to wait?

The key part here is the GPU. If you're willing to be patient, I'd recomment getting a 3060ti or a 3060 (comes out at the end of Febuary). Problem is, you probably won't get them for their original prices at the moment (320€ for the 3060 and 420€ for the 3060ti). I'm also generally not a huge fan of nvidia's founder's edition cards, as you will generally get a little more performance and a little more room for overclocking from aftermarket cards. I'm not sure how high they are selling the 3060ti for/are going to sell the 3060 for but generally you can add around 100 quid to the original price for those. Gigabyte is usually the cheapest when comparing aftermarket cards.

If you're not patient you can still try and snag a 3060, but again, availability is extremely limited right now. Either you're lucky or you pay a lot more than you need to. If you don't have the time to wait, and are fine giving up a bit of performance, you can go for the 2060. It's substantially less performance (gpu.userbenchmark.com estimates the 3060ti to be 30% better) but it should definetly get the job done and is still a great card. You can currently get it for 300-400€. So same, price, less performance, you don't have to be patient.

Now RAM, Processor and Motherboard are a lot easier. There are really a lot of options here, but I picked out some that fit your budget and have a bit of room for unexpected costs or paying more for a GPU:

Motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4
Great mid-high tier board. Loads of room. Fits 2 M.2's, 4 sticks of ram at a maximum speed of 3200MHz (you really don't need any more) and even a little RGB slapped in there if that's your thing. Currently going for 110€ on Amazon.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Great performance, reasonable price. 6 cores, 3.6 GHz core clock, 4.2 GHz boost clock. I wouldn't do any overclocking on this if you're not planning on getting a seperate cooler for it (technically your budget would allow for one), but for non OC, the AMD stock cooler is great and does it's job well. With the perfomance this thing gives, you also won't really need an overclock for day to day use and gaming, let's be honest. Also won't bottleneck your GPU in any significant manner. Currently going for 190€ on Amazon.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB)
I'd go for 4x8GB here. It is highly unlikely you will ever need more than 32 gigs of RAM in your system, and you will get slightly better performance from 4x8 than from 2x16. 3200MHz too, so your Motherboard is used to it's fullest. Also has flashy RGB if that's your thing. Going on Amazon for 195€.

If we assume you spend 400€ on a GPU (could be less) that puts you at just under 900€.

RossTheGuy

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
This really depends on a few things. What's your goal benchmark here? What games are you planning on playing? And most importantly, how long are you willing to wait?

The key part here is the GPU. If you're willing to be patient, I'd recomment getting a 3060ti or a 3060 (comes out at the end of Febuary). Problem is, you probably won't get them for their original prices at the moment (320€ for the 3060 and 420€ for the 3060ti). I'm also generally not a huge fan of nvidia's founder's edition cards, as you will generally get a little more performance and a little more room for overclocking from aftermarket cards. I'm not sure how high they are selling the 3060ti for/are going to sell the 3060 for but generally you can add around 100 quid to the original price for those. Gigabyte is usually the cheapest when comparing aftermarket cards.

If you're not patient you can still try and snag a 3060, but again, availability is extremely limited right now. Either you're lucky or you pay a lot more than you need to. If you don't have the time to wait, and are fine giving up a bit of performance, you can go for the 2060. It's substantially less performance (gpu.userbenchmark.com estimates the 3060ti to be 30% better) but it should definetly get the job done and is still a great card. You can currently get it for 300-400€. So same, price, less performance, you don't have to be patient.

Now RAM, Processor and Motherboard are a lot easier. There are really a lot of options here, but I picked out some that fit your budget and have a bit of room for unexpected costs or paying more for a GPU:

Motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4
Great mid-high tier board. Loads of room. Fits 2 M.2's, 4 sticks of ram at a maximum speed of 3200MHz (you really don't need any more) and even a little RGB slapped in there if that's your thing. Currently going for 110€ on Amazon.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Great performance, reasonable price. 6 cores, 3.6 GHz core clock, 4.2 GHz boost clock. I wouldn't do any overclocking on this if you're not planning on getting a seperate cooler for it (technically your budget would allow for one), but for non OC, the AMD stock cooler is great and does it's job well. With the perfomance this thing gives, you also won't really need an overclock for day to day use and gaming, let's be honest. Also won't bottleneck your GPU in any significant manner. Currently going for 190€ on Amazon.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB)
I'd go for 4x8GB here. It is highly unlikely you will ever need more than 32 gigs of RAM in your system, and you will get slightly better performance from 4x8 than from 2x16. 3200MHz too, so your Motherboard is used to it's fullest. Also has flashy RGB if that's your thing. Going on Amazon for 195€.

If we assume you spend 400€ on a GPU (could be less) that puts you at just under 900€.

I mostly wish to game at 60fps 1440p with games like Dayz/Rust/War Thunder/Witcher/Cyberpunk basically any game that interests me. I have been waiting for quite a while now and cant seem to find a great time to buy new components so yeah I could maybe crank up my budget to 1200 euros but I doubt any more than that.

RossTheGuy

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
Right now is a really bad time to buy PC parts for a DIY build. Because of low stock, scalpers, mining, etc prices for graphics cards & CPUs are higher than ever. For the GPU, either of these budget options will do if you can find them at a good price:
  • 5700XT
  • 2070 Super
  • 3060Ti
For CPU:
  • 3600X
  • 3700X
  • 5600X
For the Mobo I'd recommend a b550 since they're cheap budget boards suitable for the latest AMD ryzen gen (5000 series). And for RAM, the best price to performance setup is 16GB (2x8GB) at 3200MHz.

But as I said, it's a bad time to find and buy parts, you may need to get a pre-built PC if you really want a computer today. I'd wait if I was you until things settle down, which they may not for a good few months.

I would really like to avoid buying a prebuildt since I already got the case storage and PSU so yeah biggest issues is finding a GPU but I can order that part later when the prices go down a bit.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I recently gathered 1000 euros to upgrade my old gaming pc so I can game in 1440p. I havent followed the recent releases of PC components and dont know what would be best for reasonable 1440p gaming. I have old parts I plan to use again but I still need a new motherboard RAM CPU and GPU. Would prefer to go with Ryzen but I am not sure which exactly parts I should pick for 1000 euros. Any help would be great.
Need to know what case and power supply.
If your power supply is old probably best to replace it.

ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
  • 5700XT
  • 2070 Super
  • 3060Ti
For CPU:
  • 3600X
  • 3700X
  • 5600X

[/QUOTE
I also wanted to upgrade old PC but i will wait until June and then buy parts because this is awful..

ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
  • 5700XT
  • 2070 Super
  • 3060Ti
For CPU:
  • 3600X
  • 3700X
  • 5600X

I also wanted to upgrade old PC but i will wait until June and then buy parts because this is awful..

It is definitely the worst time for GPU and newest CPU purchase. And seems will remain like that till at least this summer. To play at 1440 with acceptable picture quality and frame rate around 60 FPS or more, you will need AMD or Intel CPU no older than 2 generations, at least 16 GB RAM, SSD drive and definitely good GPU. Something like RTX 2600, RX 5700 or better. And if you can still play with other parts, GPU must be good.

An idea for poor man's system with decade old Xeon 3470 CPU (i7@870 sibling) RTX 2060 Super GPU and Asus VG27AQL1A monitor, used with 1440p resolution for some time

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pY84Gq

and new rig with same GPU and monitor, but Ryzen 7 5800X CPU and B550 MOBO.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fwHCgt

Solution
Jan 2, 2021

I would definitely recommend getting a B550 board for your build for upgradability, and a Ryzen 5 3600 is a good processor. For new RAM, 2x8 packs of DDR4-3200 can be easily found for ~55-65 euros, and as many people are saying, the toughest part will be the graphics card. After buying a Ryzen 5 3600(165 euros), the RAM (for around 60 euros), and the motherboard(ATX B550 for around 115 euros), you should be left with around 660 euros for a graphics card. Many people are recommending the RTX 3000 series, but graphics cards in the RTX 2000 series should work very well also. The RX 5700 XT cards are good cards within that budget, as well as the RX 6800. As many other people are also suggesting, waiting to get a graphics card is probably a good idea. I would consider spending some money on a good M.2 NVME SSD as well, like the Samsung 970 Evo.