[SOLVED] How should I upgrade my PCs RAM?

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
So I bought a new PC and I'm looking to upgrade the RAM. Bought it on a really good deal, which I why I didn't go for a custom build(or one with as much RAM as I would've liked). It has an i5-9400F on what seems to be an ASRock B360M Xtreme, in this CyberPowerPC rig. There's currently a 1x8gb kit of ADATA XPG Z1 @ 3000Mhz(Running at 2667). I tried setting up an XMP profile, but after using CPUID and UserBenchmark, they both saw it as running at 2667(not 2666), which I found odd(so I disabled the XMP profile). Not here to get advice on setting up an XMP, maybe 2666Mhz is just the cap for the mobo, I really don't mind. I just want to know what I should do for upgading my RAM. I was looking to get 16gb(2x8gb). There are 4 RAM slots, but why should I use all of them. Also, I just searched it up(while writing) that the ASRock B360M Pro4(which this board is based off of) only supports 2666Mhz and lower. That means that I can't get anything higher even on an XMP to my knowledge.

I have 3 different ideas:

1) I get an identical 1x8gb of the same brand

Pros: Gives me the 16gb I wanted while saving one 8gb stick, I can also try to return the 1x8 if it doesn't work

Cons: Might not even work and also seems that a 1x8gb stick of the XPG Z1 is very hard to find

2) I get an identical 2x8gb of the same brand

Pros: Guarentees that I will get at least 16gb and maybe even 24gb

Cons: Costs more than just buying a cheaper 2x8gb kit of the same quality(by G.Skill or Corsair for example), I don't really need 24gb(but doesn't hurt), the ASRock B360M Pro4 only supports dual channel, so 3 might not even work

3a) I just get a 2x8gb @ 2666Mhz kit and just admit defeat at the hands of CyberPowerPC(Since I think they just bought a 2x8 or a 4x8 and split the sticks up into these PCs)

Pros: I know what I will get out of it, will be able to save even more since it's just 2666mhz instead of 3000 or higher

Cons: I get an extra 1x8gb of 3000mhz RAM(not bad) laying around, might not be the most cost effective way(Which will make me feel bad)

3b) I just get a 2x8gb @ 3000+Mhz kit

Pros: I know what I will get out of it, also helps if I decide to upgrade mobo(and CPU, since I don't like Intel chipsets and CPUs)

Cons: Costs a little more than 3a, I get an extra 1x8gb of 3000mhz laying around, even less of a cost effective way, might not even upgrade(could just sell)

I'm leaning a little towards option 1, since I may be able to just return the stick and live on. Option 3a is quite tight, with 3b falling slightly further and 2 just being not terrible either. Also, please excuse the crazy rambling in the first paragraph.

Thoughts?

Solution
For more RAM, i'd go with option #2. There is no point paying extra for faster RAM that you can't use. Also, you can keep your current 1x 8GB stick as backup.

However, the smartest thing to do would be holding back the RAM upgrade now and upgrade the RAM once you go with new CPU-MoBo. This way, you can look your new MoBo specs and if it supports e.g 3400 Mhz RAM and you want to have 3400 Mhz RAM, you can buy it with the MoBo.

Buying faster RAM now, e.g 3400 Mhz, in lieu of buying better MoBo in the future, may result in a situation where your new MoBo doesn't support 3400 Mhz (e.g max at 3200 Mhz) and you'd still have the same situation where you have faster RAM that you can't use fully.

There are 4 RAM slots, but why should I...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
For more RAM, i'd go with option #2. There is no point paying extra for faster RAM that you can't use. Also, you can keep your current 1x 8GB stick as backup.

However, the smartest thing to do would be holding back the RAM upgrade now and upgrade the RAM once you go with new CPU-MoBo. This way, you can look your new MoBo specs and if it supports e.g 3400 Mhz RAM and you want to have 3400 Mhz RAM, you can buy it with the MoBo.

Buying faster RAM now, e.g 3400 Mhz, in lieu of buying better MoBo in the future, may result in a situation where your new MoBo doesn't support 3400 Mhz (e.g max at 3200 Mhz) and you'd still have the same situation where you have faster RAM that you can't use fully.

There are 4 RAM slots, but why should I use all of them.

To get 16GB in total, you have 3 choices: 4x 4GB, 2x 8GB or 1x 16GB.

Populating all MoBo RAM slots, with 4x 4GB, at times, has better performance (FPS wise) than 2x 8GB since having many smaller sticks gives better RAM access speed than having few bigger sticks.

For example, here is comparison of HyperX (4x 4GB) vs Vengeance (2x 8GB) RAM sets;
link: https://ram.userbenchmark.com/Compa...engeance-LPX-DDR4-3000-C15-2x8GB/m43906vs3546

Both RAM sets have the same:
  • total capacity (16GB)
  • speed (3000 Mhz)
  • CAS Latency (15)

Vengeance set is popular amongst many PC users while HyperX set is what i currently have in my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig).

Solution
RAM is only guaranteed to work together if bought in a matched kit. If you want 16GB you want a 2x8gb kit allowing the RAM to run in dual channel mode.

Your motherboard only supports up to 2666mhz. It doesn’t matter if you buy faster RAM there is little chance the motherboard will allow you to go higher.

It’s generally advised not to go with 4 sticks of RAM. While performance can be a little better you are far more likely to run into issues as you are putting extra load on the memory controller. At 2666mhz the chances of issues are lower but still Id go for 2x8gb for reliability.

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
RAM is only guaranteed to work together if bought in a matched kit. If you want 16GB you want a 2x8gb kit allowing the RAM to run in dual channel mode.

Your motherboard only supports up to 2666mhz. It doesn’t matter if you buy faster RAM there is little chance the motherboard will allow you to go higher.

It’s generally advised not to go with 4 sticks of RAM. While performance can be a little better you are far more likely to run into issues as you are putting extra load on the memory controller. At 2666mhz the chances of issues are lower but still Id go for 2x8gb for reliability.
So you think I should go with a 2x8gb kit @ 2666mhz. I mean there isn't even a huge performance difference between 2666mhz and say, 3200mhz anyways. Hopefully can save 5 or 10 bucks from that too.

Thanks!

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020

To get 16GB in total, you have 3 choices: 4x 4GB, 2x 8GB or 1x 16GB.

Populating all MoBo RAM slots, with 4x 4GB, at times, has better performance (FPS wise) than 2x 8GB since having many smaller sticks gives better RAM access speed than having few bigger sticks.

For example, here is comparison of HyperX (4x 4GB) vs Vengeance (2x 8GB) RAM sets;
link: https://ram.userbenchmark.com/Compa...engeance-LPX-DDR4-3000-C15-2x8GB/m43906vs3546

Both RAM sets have the same:
  • total capacity (16GB)
  • speed (3000 Mhz)
  • CAS Latency (15)
Vengeance set is popular amongst many PC users while HyperX set is what i currently have in my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig).
True, if I do decide to keep with this build, I could probably sell CPU, mobo and RAM together. I really would've liked an AMD CPU like the Ryzen 5 3600 instead, with even just an ASRock B450M Pro4. AMD chipsets have many more features. Stock cooler from Intel(which was used in this build) kinda stinks. My CPU often reaches higher temps than my GPU(RX 580), while playing games like R6 on max settings @ 1080p. It's also certainly louder than my silent GPU.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
While performance can be a little better you are far more likely to run into issues as you are putting extra load on the memory controller.
While it is true that 4x RAM sticks put a bit higher load on memory controller, all MoBos that have 4x RAM slots are able to withstand when all the RAM slots are populated with ease. Else-ways there wouldn't be 4x RAM slots on a MoBo.

AMD chipsets have many more features.
It's not the chipset per se that defines how many features there are. While it is true that different chipsets do have some different features, it's the MoBo itself that defines how many features it comes with.

For example: your MoBo, ASRock B360M Xtreme, is an OEM MoBo, outsourced for CyperPowerPC, where the base MoBo is AsRock B360M Pro4 (specs). However, B360M Pro4 and B360X Xtreme aren't 100% identical and there are differences between them. Still, even the base MoBo, B360M Pro4 comes with very little, if any features. Though, that doesn't mean that all Intel B360 chipset MoBos are such barebone MoBos.

E.g MSI B360 Gaming Pro Carbon has quite a bit additional features, despite being B360 chipset as well,
specs: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B360-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/Specification

Stock cooler from Intel(which was used in this build) kinda stinks.
Yeah, that one isn't good but you can always replace CPU cooler relatively easily. And while AMD Wraith CPU coolers are better than Intel stock CPU cooler, those aren't anything to brag about either (especially the lower end of Wraith coolers, like Stealth or Spire).