[SOLVED] how should i wire my house for the best speeds. nas or pc?

Aug 23, 2019
I have a house with quite thick walls, speedtest.net test on my laptop wifi gives 70MBs beside the router and 5MB in the pc room (a powerline adapter from the router will take it to 20MBs in the pc room).
The floorplan is here https://ibb.co/tC5mtSW

The phone line come in at the back of the house in the dining room so I am now trying to work out my otions for rerouting everything.
I'd like to put a NAS under the stairs and stream everything from there I have 1 main pc which is the one that does the downloading and is a nuc attached to the back of the tv with wireless keyboard.

The question I have is,
a: is it better to route the phone line to under the stairs, which would give the NAS the fastest connection to the internet and powerline/wifi to the other devices
b: route the phone line to beside the main pc and then powerline/wifi to the nas storage
c: some other route

upstairs has just be decorated so puting new wiring up there won't be an option right now.

getting wiring to under the stairs would need to be a very thin wire so it isn't visible on the flooring (ie phone, or flat ethernet)

I have a 3 year old and they will eventually start to use the tv so I'm trying to future proof the layout as much as possible.

thanks
stephen

Solution
You need to use actual ethernet wires. Phone cable is not twisted pairs and the thin or flat ethernet cable does not meet the standards for ethernet. The wire size must be between 22-24. That flat or thin cable tends to only work at short distance and the cable end tend to break or get loose. There is no predicting how it will work since it is not part of any standard.

Your powerline speeds are kinda low but if you are using the older model like av200 or av500 it was more common to get lower speeds. The newer ones based on av2 tend to be faster and more stable.

Be really sure you need a NAS. A lot of people buy these because of the cool factor when it would be simpler to just use one of the pc to store the data.

Maybe...
You need to use actual ethernet wires. Phone cable is not twisted pairs and the thin or flat ethernet cable does not meet the standards for ethernet. The wire size must be between 22-24. That flat or thin cable tends to only work at short distance and the cable end tend to break or get loose. There is no predicting how it will work since it is not part of any standard.

Your powerline speeds are kinda low but if you are using the older model like av200 or av500 it was more common to get lower speeds. The newer ones based on av2 tend to be faster and more stable.

Be really sure you need a NAS. A lot of people buy these because of the cool factor when it would be simpler to just use one of the pc to store the data.

Maybe look at putting it in the garage behind the tv wall. Most people do not have issues with exposed wire in the garage. You could mount it near the ceiling which might help the coverage on the second floor.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 23, 2019
I do have another nuc that I bought which I might just use instead of buying a NAS, but I'll still have the same question about which should get the best connection.

the garage is the only room that hasn't been fixed yet and it is a mess of visible wires so if storing hard disks and router is suitable for a garage (-10c to 35c) that may also be an option (even if i have to mount a box and put a tube heater in there (the previous owners had snakes and we've got spare Thermotubes )) . however i don't know if the garage is on the same circuit as the main house and powerline won't bridge the 2 circuits

my powerlines are the old av500's

That is also one of the other things about the newer powerline is it uses the ground wire in addition to the 2 current carrying wires. Since the ground is all connected and does not pass through any breakers it tends to work better. Even the av500 passed between circuits.

Pretty much the av2-600 models cost about the same as av500 so nobody buys them. The av2-1200 or 1000 uses mimo techniques like wifi so tend to faster but cost a bit more.

Unfortunately the actual answer to your question is trial and error. It takes almost nothing to block wifi signals so there is no way to ever say where the best place is.

Is there the option of drilling though the wall in the garage to behind the tv or is there some attic space in the garage you could run wires though to get to the second floor walls.