[SOLVED] How should NetApp AFF A300 be connected to Mellanox FDR SX6536 switch?

Jun 10, 2020
Most of our systems are connected to IB switch (Mellanox FDR SX6536). We have received a new system NetApp AFF A300, which does not have any IB port but has 10G/40G RJ45 ports. How this system should be connected to FDR switch?

Solution
Whatever you plan on installing that card in would need to support it.
I would
- call NetApp and see if they have or can recommend a compatible IB card for the AFF.
- call mellanix and see what they recommend.
Otherwise use a bridge switch to handle the translation, similar to mellanox BridgeX Br4000 series (if i remember right).
Jun 10, 2020
Can you refer me to some switch which can be used to bridge the connection? This will help me explore further.

During my exploration I came across virtual interconnect cards (such as mellanox VPI ConnectX 4Lx). Can they be used in this case?

popatim

Titan
Whatever you plan on installing that card in would need to support it.
I would
- call NetApp and see if they have or can recommend a compatible IB card for the AFF.
- call mellanix and see what they recommend.
Otherwise use a bridge switch to handle the translation, similar to mellanox BridgeX Br4000 series (if i remember right).

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Most of our systems are connected to IB switch (Mellanox FDR SX6536). We have received a new system NetApp AFF A300, which does not have any IB port but has 10G/40G RJ45 ports. How this system should be connected to FDR switch?
First the documentation for that switch is terrible. There may be blades available for that switch which can bridge to ethernet. You need to check with your sales person.