How slow is USB 1.0?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I was trying to copy files from my 8.4GB to my 64MB USB 1.0 stick.

About how long would it take to x-fer 10MB from my HD to my memory stick?

--
"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks that have no vices have very few
virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Ablang wrote:
> I was trying to copy files from my 8.4GB to my 64MB USB 1.0 stick.
>
> About how long would it take to x-fer 10MB from my HD to my memory stick?

USB 1.1 maximum speed is about 12MB/Sec, shared among/with all USB
devices. (Some computers set up for the first usb port to have priority!).

What OS?

"Ablang" <HilaryDuff133@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message

" I was trying to copy files from my 8.4GB to my 64MB USB 1.0 stick. About
how long would it take to x-fer 10MB from my HD to my memory stick? "

USB 1.0 offers speeds of 12Mbps. USB 2.0 offers speeds of 480Mbps.

1 Megabyte (1MB) = 8 Megabits (8Mb). 10MB of transfer = 80Mb of transfer.
80Mb / 12Mbps = 6.66r seconds. Therefore, transferring 10MB over a 12Mbps
should only take 6.66r seconds, but there are other factors to take into
account.

The speed of all interfaces from the hard drive to the USB stick must match,
or be higher than that of your USB stick. It's unlikely that any are below
12Mbps though.

There will also be overheads needed to confirm that data is being
transferred, as the USB port doesn't just throw data out into oblivion.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

--------------------------- doesn't just throw data out into oblivion.

Oh?

They're always changing everything!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:45:13 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
<HilaryDuff133@ablang-duff.com> wrote:

> I was trying to copy files from my 8.4GB to my 64MB USB 1.0 stick.
>
>About how long would it take to x-fer 10MB from my HD to my memory stick?

13.452 seconds ;-)
It actually depends a lot on how many files you're talking about, as one
large file will transfer a lot faster than many smaller. Personally I'd
put the files into a comressed format like ZIP if I were using a memstick
with only 64MB on it.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:45:13 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> <HilaryDuff133@ablang-duff.com> wrote:
>
> > I was trying to copy files from my 8.4GB to my 64MB USB 1.0 stick.
> >
> >About how long would it take to x-fer 10MB from my HD to my memory stick?
>
> 13.452 seconds ;-)

According to the USB 1.1 Spec document from here:
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/
pages 61 and 64, full speed and bulk transfer modes can achieve 1.216MB/s
resulting in 10MB being transferred in 8.22s.
Isochronous (uni-directional) speed is 1.023MB/s meaning 10MB in 9.78s and
finally Control Transfer mode, bi-directional and the default mode, achieves
832KB/s meaning 10MB in 12.02s.

These are all maximum speeds and in practice it all depends how well the
driver and devices are configured and which mode of transfer they negotiate.
I tested a 256MB Crucial Gizmo on an old BX chipset board and achieved 10MB
in 16s (single mpg2 file), that's 0.625MB/s.

Alien Zord wrote:
> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:45:13 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
>> <HilaryDuff133@ablang-duff.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was trying to copy files from my 8.4GB to my 64MB USB 1.0
>>> stick.
>>>
>>> About how long would it take to x-fer 10MB from my HD to my memory
>>> stick?
>>
>> 13.452 seconds ;-)
>>

> According to the USB 1.1 Spec document from here:
> http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/
> pages 61 and 64, full speed and bulk transfer modes can achieve
> 1.216MB/s resulting in 10MB being transferred in 8.22s.
> Isochronous (uni-directional) speed is 1.023MB/s meaning 10MB in
> 9.78s and finally Control Transfer mode, bi-directional and the
> default mode, achieves 832KB/s meaning 10MB in 12.02s.
>
> These are all maximum speeds and in practice it all depends how well
> the driver and devices are configured and which mode of transfer they
> negotiate. I tested a 256MB Crucial Gizmo on an old BX chipset board
> and achieved 10MB in 16s (single mpg2 file), that's 0.625MB/s.

It's likely that writing to your flash memory is slower than the USB port
transfer rate. I don't know the specifics of the Memory Stick but most
flash memory will be between 3 and 8 MB/s.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I just moved 32 megs from hp laptop to usb 1 flash disk. AMD 900 Mhz cpu.
usb 1.0
It took about 20 seconds.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I recently read that some flash memory will transfer at only 1 MB per second. I was somewhat surprised because I didn't think that any memory was that slow.

Darkling wrote:

> It's likely that writing to your flash memory is slower than the USB port
> transfer rate. I don't know the specifics of the Memory Stick but most
> flash memory will be between 3 and 8 MB/s.

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

USB 1.1 has a PEAK transfer rate (not continuous) of 12 Mbps. USB 2.0 is
480 Mbps.

--
DaveW

"Ablang" <HilaryDuff133@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
> I was trying to copy files from my 8.4GB to my 64MB USB 1.0 stick.
>
> About how long would it take to x-fer 10MB from my HD to my memory stick?
>
> --
> "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."
> -- Winston Churchill
>
> "It has been my experience that folks that have no vices have very few
> virtues."
> -- Abraham Lincoln

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:45:13 +0000 (UTC) As truth resonates honesty
Ablang <HilaryDuff133@ablang-duff.com> wrote :

> I was trying to copy files from my 8.4GB to my 64MB USB 1.0 stick.
>
>About how long would it take to x-fer 10MB from my HD to my memory stick?

Depends on a few things.When was the last time you de fragged the hard
drive?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de