Question How strong is the soldering on a GPU?

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
So I was doing some cable management on my PC and had one of those thin bendable metal wires wrapped in plastic that you use to tie around cables, and I the wire got caught on one of the small chip looking things that are soldered to the GPU card and I may have poked it a little bit, I'm worried that I may have damaged my GPU, I went and played some games, haven't come across any issues yet, but how strong is the soldering keeping the little chip things stuck on the GPU card? Do they come off easily? Or are they designed to be quite durable?

Solder is extremely strong for a metal that melts at a lot temperature.
If you pulled it off, it would pull off and break things around it. You couldn't pull off a chip with your fingers, you would have to use something like a screwdriver.
You will be 100% safe

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
Solder is extremely strong for a metal that melts at a lot temperature.
If you pulled it off, it would pull off and break things around it. You couldn't pull off a chip with your fingers, you would have to use something like a screwdriver.
You will be 100% safe

Great to know, I get paranoid over stupid things like this, and every time I get it solved or have someone assure me, another problem occurs, anyways thanks for letting me know!

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
Actually those small soldered elements can be knocked off quite easily, if you're not careful with a screwdriver.

But with some bendable wire - I doubt any damage can be done.

Oh, that is worrying. I really hope I didn't knock one off, plus If I did, it would have fallen in my case somewhere and looking at the GPU board, I don't think anything fell. I really hope not.

Solder is pretty strong. How hard something would be to rip off of the board really depends on the size of the component and how well it is attached to the board. If you just poked something, you are unlikely to have broken it.

Take the card out and examine it for loose or missing components. If it looks normal, put it back in.
If the card powers on fine, you didnt knock anything off.

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
Solder is pretty strong. How hard something would be to rip off of the board really depends on the size of the component and how well it is attached to the board. If you just poked something, you are unlikely to have broken it.

Take the card out and examine it for loose or missing components. If it looks normal, put it back in.
If the card powers on fine, you didnt knock anything off.
It was like a tiny chip looking thing, I'll have a look and see if it's ok, the GPU seems to be working fine when I was playing some games with it.