How t o power on a TV box without the IR remote?

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I have an Android TV box that can only be powered on by the IR remote (i.e. there is no physical power-on button). Suddenly I cannot power it on anymore. I have no idea if the IR remote is broken or if the box is broken. I know that it gets power because a very dim red light is on when I have it plugged in. If the box is powered on, the light will turn on fully. Now nothing changes after I push power on the remote. I don't mind opening the box up to do some repairs. I need to know normally how the box is powered on when the IR receiver receives the power on signal.

kanewolf

Titan
I have an Android TV box that can only be powered on by the IR remote (i.e. there is no physical power-on button). Suddenly I cannot power it on anymore. I have no idea if the IR remote is broken or if the box is broken. I know that it gets power because a very dim red light is on when I have it plugged in. If the box is powered on, the light will turn on fully. Now nothing changes after I push power on the remote. I don't mind opening the box up to do some repairs. I need to know normally how the box is powered on when the IR receiver receives the power on signal.
Push the buttons on the remote while looking at the emmiter with your phone camera. You should see it light up if it is working.

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Push the buttons on the remote while looking at the emmiter with your phone camera. You should see it light up if it is working.
Thanks for the suggestion. The remote works. Another Android TV box (different brand) powered up when I was doing the suggested test. Looks like some of these boxes share the same IR code.

So the box will have a pretty obvious LED IR receiver, that sends any signal it gets to a controller chip that will be close by and that chip will produce the wake up signal, usually a certain voltage on a certain pin of the main CPU.
You can measure if the receiver diode still works and you can check if the controller has any short-circuits and if it still sends the proper output signal, you would have to identify it and look up the spec sheet online to see what it should output and on what pin.
You should also check for traces being corroded or otherwise broken.
It could also be any support part of these components like a cap or resistor or anything like that.

In general if it's not something super obvious that is wrong it's going to be a lot of work finding the problem.

TRENDING THREADS