How The FBI Dodges Compliance With The ‘Vulnerability Equities Process’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or does it seem it was never about cracking the iphone? In fact I wonder now if the FBI ever did crack the phone? It seemed they wanted to set a precedent until Apple full out refused and lawyerd up. Realizing they would very likely loose the precedent setting case they "cracked" the phone in time not to need to go to court. All of that just seems a little convenient. We will probably never know.

Edit: For those that don't recall the iPhone that was being cracked was his "work" phone as his other phone was destroyed on purpose. When you are going to be caught and you destroy only your personal phone its not a long stretch to assume no terrorist activity was on the "work" phone. This is why I went down the rabbit whole in the first place as it never really seemed like there would be anything of importance on the phone anyhow.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Anyone who thinks the US Federal Government will not duck, ignore, or subvert any law it finds inconvenient has not been paying attention for the last fifteen years (at least).
Try 80 years, or even longer. Congress has traditionally exempted itself from any workplace-related laws it passes. Some of these have changed, but traditionally things like healthcare, insider trading, discrimination, and for staffers workweek, wage, overtime, OSHA, etc. They're pretty much self-entitled bastards.

Well it was created by and for the people then Citizens United ruling came in an F***ed it up.

jeremy2020

Distinguished
May 12, 2011

Well it was created by and for the people then Citizens United ruling came in an F***ed it up.

To be fair, it was messed up before Citizens United. That ruling has just sped along the process of getting to a bloody, violent revolution.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Is it just me or does it seem it was never about cracking the iphone? In fact I wonder now if the FBI ever did crack the phone? It seemed they wanted to set a precedent until Apple full out refused and lawyerd up. Realizing they would very likely loose the precedent setting case they "cracked" the phone in time not to need to go to court. All of that just seems a little convenient. We will probably never know.

Edit: For those that don't recall the iPhone that was being cracked was his "work" phone as his other phone was destroyed on purpose. When you are going to be caught and you destroy only your personal phone its not a long stretch to assume no terrorist activity was on the "work" phone. This is why I went down the rabbit whole in the first place as it never really seemed like there would be anything of importance on the phone anyhow.

Right. That's been the crux of Lucian's articles on the subject. All about precedent, then backing away when it looked like they would lose so as not to set a precedent that worked AGAINST them.

The design and intention of the federal government has long since left the building. It is nothing like the founding fathers envisioned it to be, let alone following the principles they set forth.

Feinstein (Donkey - California) could care less about the rights of citizens or The Constitution of the United States. She could care less for the 2nd Amendment (Sound byte already exists of her stating she'd disarm everyone if she had the support), and obviously the 4th too. When it comes down to it, I don't think she respects any of them unless it directly protected/benefited her.

vudtmere

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Anyone who thinks the US Federal Government will not duck, ignore, or subvert any law it finds inconvenient has not been paying attention for the last fifteen years (at least).
Try 80 years, or even longer. Congress has traditionally exempted itself from any workplace-related laws it passes. Some of these have changed, but traditionally things like healthcare, insider trading, discrimination, and for staffers workweek, wage, overtime, OSHA, etc. They're pretty much self-entitled bastards.

Try since Abraham Lincoln when he took the entire country to war over taxes and then the government basically rewrote history in public schools to make it seem like it was about ending slavery. It doesn't take much reading into Lincoln to figure out he wanted nothing to do with freeing the slaves and he only freed the southern slaves as a war measure while allowing border and northern states to have slaves.

TL;DR: I agree.

thuckabay

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
This perfectly illustrates why we need laws to RESTRAIN GOVERNMENT AND GOVERNMENT-EMPOWERED THUGS (i.e., those government officials who think and behave along these lines: "do as I say, not as I do", and who clearly are lawless individuals who lack moral scruples themselves. Sadly, our government has proven time and again that it is inherently untrustworthy, will lie and say and do ANYTHING to get its way.

Thuck, the Constitution, the Supreme Law of the Land, which these parasites swear an oath to uphold, covers this, but is ignored without consequences. I am so eager for Nuremberg II I can almost taste it. A lot of these oathbreakers will dangle and twitch. It's a shame the collateral damage may kill millions.
...and that's probably enough GRAPES, despite their relevance to the thread.

silicondoc_85

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Right. That's been the crux of Lucian's articles on the subject. All about precedent, then backing away when it looked like they would lose so as not to set a precedent that worked AGAINST them.

One does wonder how they have to be in a court lest they just take the exploit and use it forever on the sly.
When other criminals admit publicly on nationwide TV the crime they have committed, they get taken to by the task force, then to court, then to prison - but it seems that somehow the gov not only has every loophole covered, but they also have a "you can't touch this" clause for everything else as well.
No one is watching the watchers, the watchers are exempt.
That's how we got the housing bubble and worldwide burst, and then the media told us no one could have known... yet the crimes were blatant and obvious to even casual observers.
It's amazing and this has not been going on in the USA forever - a lot of these crimes are new record breaking breaches the likes of which have never been experienced here, and it's getting steadily worse.
We are turning into the dirt we formerly were above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS