[SOLVED] how the speed will be affected if i add 16gb ram to my existing 8gb ram in laptop

Dec 31, 2020
how the speed will be affected if i add 16gb ram to my existing 8gb ram in laptop. Will i get the speed of 24gb or will the 16gb ram tone down its perfomance same us to the 8gb so that it gives a perfomance of a total 16gb.Will the ram have any bad impacts if i mix different speeds rams together

Solution
Assuming that an added 16gb is possible, that is likely good.
You will have 24gb to work with.
The matching 8gb of the installed ram will operate in faster dual channel mode of the first 8gb of the 16gb stick.
That is called flex mode.
Performance will be better, like perhaps 10%. If you are using integrated graphics, the graphics will run considerably better.
You may also be able to dedicate more system ram to graphics vram use.

All ram must be run with the same specs of voltage timings and speed.
Faster ram will slow to the speed of the slowest.

I suggest you go to a ram site like kingston or crucial and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop and you will get a list of supported upgrades.
Assuming that an added 16gb is possible, that is likely good.
You will have 24gb to work with.
The matching 8gb of the installed ram will operate in faster dual channel mode of the first 8gb of the 16gb stick.
That is called flex mode.
Performance will be better, like perhaps 10%. If you are using integrated graphics, the graphics will run considerably better.
You may also be able to dedicate more system ram to graphics vram use.

All ram must be run with the same specs of voltage timings and speed.
Faster ram will slow to the speed of the slowest.

I suggest you go to a ram site like kingston or crucial and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop and you will get a list of supported upgrades.

Solution
somebody may disagree with me but i think 24gb is an odd amount , i have never heard of or seen a pc using 24gb ram.
I have always been given to understand that you double every time so if you have 8 you go for 16 , if 16 you go to 32 , if 32 you go to 64.

As geofelt has said do not mix timings and speeds go for matched pairs , also google the mobo of your pc to make sure it can handle the amount of ram you want to use.

somebody may disagree with me but i think 24gb is an odd amount , i have never heard of or seen a pc using 24gb ram.
I have always been given to understand that you double every time so if you have 8 you go for 16 , if 16 you go to 32 , if 32 you go to 64.

As geofelt has said do not mix timings and speeds go for matched pairs , also google the mobo of your pc to make sure it can handle the amount of ram you want to use.
Sometimes the first 8gb is fixed, like it might be soldered in a laptop.
Flex mode is designed to handle such arrangements.