How to access a corrupt drive that needs formatting

jhdaeys

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Hello,

I currently have a corrupt and partially broken down drive that is on it's way out. Drive is making a clunking noise when it tries to read the data. When I plug it into a computer operating windows vista/xp/7 it shows the drive but won't let me access it and I get the disk needs to be formatted message. My intention is not to fix the drive but to access the data.

Now, I know that most of the data is still intact as I'm accessing it with an old version on Partition Guru called Disk Genius. Though this is working well, it is extremely slow and I've been running it for two days now and have recovered very little data. I have read the forums and believe this is a limitation of Disk Genius and the way it reads the type of data I'm trying to access.

My question. Is there software that I can use to access a drive that is corrupt and needs to be formatted without going through the timely process of searching for deleted data? Also any recommendations for something a little faster than Disk Genius.

jhdaeys

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

Hello, I am giving testdisk a try at the moment. Thank you for the recommendation. Will post the outcome.