[SOLVED] How to access an old HD

jcgc50

Prominent
May 16, 2020
After cloning the old HD to an SSD I put the old HD in a USB enclosure. After plugging it into a port I can see it in windows exp as D: drive and open the files. When I click the user I want it presents a message that I don't have permission to access and shows the option click to continue. At that point, a green progress line starts near the top and a blue circle goes round and round but after more than an hour doing that nothing else happens.

Please tell me there is a simpler answer than this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...security/6ae783c5-1256-4659-abe8-d24b665b4a7d

Solution
Cloning should not have this issue.
ALL of the contents of the original HDD are transferred to the new SSD.

You shouldn't need to access anything on the old drive, because they should exist on the new drive.

Or you did something other than a 'clone'.

USAFRet

Titan
Cloning should not have this issue.
ALL of the contents of the original HDD are transferred to the new SSD.

You shouldn't need to access anything on the old drive, because they should exist on the new drive.

Or you did something other than a 'clone'.

Solution
Windows does not like it, when you try to access files on a different drive that has the same name as it's system files so it restricts access as it would it's own system files. This can also be true if you have multiple user accounts that are password protected on the drive you are trying to access. Another issue is to make sure you are logged in as an administrator.

TRENDING THREADS