How to access and edit boot order in Dell XPS 8900 Win 10 Boot Manager?

jimmbbo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
I just bought a Dell XPS 8900 with a single HD, and installed a SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD to be used as the Win 10 boot drive (The SSD has been formatted and is "seen" by both the UEFI/BIOS and Win 10. Pending figuring out how to set the SSD as the boot drive in the UEFI/BIOS, I have not cloned the existing HD/OS to the SSD)
Pressing F12 on startup gets me into the "BIOS/UEFI" screen, but the UEFI defaults to use the Windows Boot Manager and I cannot figure out how to access the Boot Manager to change the boot drive.. I accessed Advanced Options/troubleshooting/UEFI Firmware sub menus, but it displays the same menus... Ideas???

lyricyst2000

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
You should be able to set the boot order in the bios. Its horrible on this machine and really unclear but it is possible. I cloned the factory install to the SSD, meaning I had two instances of "Windows Boot Manager" to choose from as the boot disk. I simply switched their places (not that simple since you cant actually see anything move) and rebooted with fingers crossed. Ive been running off the SSD ever since. Its still a hog on boot up, the bios is awful.

jimmbbo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

Thanks... You're right.. the BIOS/UEFI is a mess. I was able to get it to see the SSD after changing the UEFI to Legacy and turning Secure Boot off... NOW, the SSD has disappeared altogether... Time for another thread to sort THAT out.. :fou: