[SOLVED] How to access devices on home network virutally - DVR Admin tool only works when on local network

Aug 15, 2021
Hi,

Question:
Is there a way that I can replicate being on by local wifi, so that I can see 'local' network devices, but remotely?

Details:
I have a DVR set up on my home network.
I've linked this using No-IP so that I can access it via an app with login details remotely as a User.

However, there are certain admin tools that I install on my windows computer (HikVision SADP) that require that I'm on the same Wifi network for some functions. When I'm connected to the Wifi, the DVR automatically shows up.

This is a real issue becuase I'm trying to get support from HikVision, but I have to be onloaction. They only support Monday - Friday, and I can only be there Saturday and Sunday :(

Possible Solution:
I've had a long look online, but I'm coming up with more questions than answers....Is the answer VPN? Looking at VPN solutions, they talk about secure browsing, but would it also replicate being on the local network in terms of visibility of other devices on my home wifi?

Would all devices need a VPN installed?

I don't have another computer running on my home network that could be a server.
Thanks for any guidance!

Solution
If you did this without a vpn and are only using no-ip you likely have a security risk. You are directly accessing the device via the internet. Camera and dvr systems especially those from china are known to have all kinds of security issues.

You could use a server running vpn but it is more complex to setup that way. The simplest way is to get a router that have a vpn server function. You then just load a vpn client on the remote pc. You would then "mostly" get a connection that works like a local pc. Some applications that are dependent on broadcast packets may have issues but you should be able to access the devices via their local IP addresses.

Depending on what exactly you are doing you could also just use a app like...
If you did this without a vpn and are only using no-ip you likely have a security risk. You are directly accessing the device via the internet. Camera and dvr systems especially those from china are known to have all kinds of security issues.

You could use a server running vpn but it is more complex to setup that way. The simplest way is to get a router that have a vpn server function. You then just load a vpn client on the remote pc. You would then "mostly" get a connection that works like a local pc. Some applications that are dependent on broadcast packets may have issues but you should be able to access the devices via their local IP addresses.

Depending on what exactly you are doing you could also just use a app like teamviewer to get access to a machine that is on the network already and then use that to access the other stuff. This will work fine for configuration etc but live stream video not so much. If you want that you will have to go the vpn method.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS