[SOLVED] how to access modem and router tp-link simultaneously

Ricky21

Reputable
Aug 7, 2019
Dear

I appreciate your help in the following case that I describe:
I currently have a TP-LINK MOD router. WR641G / 642G v4 081520C2 and a TP-LINK MOD modem. td-8616 that are installed correctly and working perfectly with the internet.

My concern is the following, in what way should I configure these equipment so that I can access the router and modem and perform any configuration without having to disconnect the router from the router and connect it directly to the modem.
Currently I can only access the router and perform any type of configuration or revision, but I cannot access the modem.

Thank you

Solution
That is a really old router surprised anyone is still using it.

The problem is that both devices use 192.1681.1 for management. It "might" work to change the router to use 192.168.2.1 for the lan network. You then could access the modem with 192.168.1.1 but I am not sure it will work. Cable modem work doing stuff like this but I don't know about that device.

The reason I am uncertain is the modem may have restrictions on what devices can talk to it and your traffic will appear to come from the wan ip of your router. All you can do it try it I guess.

The modem in theory you should not need to change very often.
That is a really old router surprised anyone is still using it.

The problem is that both devices use 192.1681.1 for management. It "might" work to change the router to use 192.168.2.1 for the lan network. You then could access the modem with 192.168.1.1 but I am not sure it will work. Cable modem work doing stuff like this but I don't know about that device.

The reason I am uncertain is the modem may have restrictions on what devices can talk to it and your traffic will appear to come from the wan ip of your router. All you can do it try it I guess.

The modem in theory you should not need to change very often.

Solution