[SOLVED] How to access old Win XP drive with security settings ?

May 21, 2020
Some time around 2008 or 2009, I decommissioned an old HP tower PC and transitioned to a Mac. I copied over the files I wanted and backed it all up to an external drive. I removed he hard drive from the unit and bought a USB enclosure for it so I could access it in the future.

Fast-forward a number of years and the back-up drive crapped out, and I am looking for some files that I am fairly certain are on that old PC drive. Although we are primarily a Mac household, I have access to a Windows 10 laptop, so I decided to plug it in. The drive runs fine and the main directories are all accessible., until I try to go in the documents folder that I need to get into. Then I get an error message saying "You don't currently have permission to access this folder" with a Continue button that has the little blue and orange security shield.

When I click continue, it asks me to login as the Administrator on the laptop, and then it says I still don't have access and go to the Security tab, which in turn tells me I can't see the Security settings unless I am the owner, and if I click "change" it just sends me in circles.

I am NOT a Windows expert so please bear with my ignorance, but basically I think what is happening is the Documents folder was connected to a user (Owner) and password on the old computer, and it seems to know that is not the same as the Owner of the current laptop, but I can't find any way to try to enter the old password.

I have followed a number of instructions on this forum and other places, but they all seem to be premised that the drive is owned by the current Administrator, but it is not. So no luck there. I would appreciate any help 😊 I am sure I am not explaining it as well as someone with more Windows expertise but, well, it is what it is! Let me know how I can clarify.

Thanks!
Steve

May 21, 2020
Thank you. That worked! I tried something similar before but I was confused over what "User" to assuming it was the user name on the old drive. My bad. Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS