[SOLVED] How to access WiFi in my new home.

Mar 4, 2020
So I've just moved into a new house where the landlord lives near by and has provided an ethernet port on the walls or his properties. I have recently bought a router to give my place WiFi it's the Tp-link v400 ac1200 however I need advice on how to set it up. So I use it as a router or a AP ect.

Solution
  • Unpack the router attach antenna ect.
  • Plug in the power and turn on (might take a couple of minutes)
  • Attach an ethernet cable to the wall port and the other end into the port on the back of the router labeled as WAN or internet (it'll probably be a different colour to the others)
  • Attach other ethernet cord into any of the other ports and the other end into a computer
  • In a browser on the computer type into the search bar you gateway address, you can usually find this on the router (its probably 192.168.1.1)
  • Put in your username and password (probably admin or default )
  • Once you log in this is where you can change your settings, change to SSID (that's the name of the wireless network) and the password (use wpa2)...

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
  • Attach an ethernet cable to the wall port and the other end into the port on the back of the router labeled as WAN or internet (it'll probably be a different colour to the others)
  • Attach other ethernet cord into any of the other ports and the other end into a computer
  • In a browser on the computer type into the search bar you gateway address, you can usually find this on the router (its probably 192.168.1.1)
  • Once you log in this is where you can change your settings, change to SSID (that's the name of the wireless network) and the password (use wpa2)
  • Also update your firmware which it will probably do automatically
  • Save settings and reboot
  • You should now be able to connect your devices to the network

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
So I've just moved into a new house where the landlord lives near by and has provided an ethernet port on the walls or his properties. I have recently bought a router to give my place WiFi it's the Tp-link v400 ac1200 however I need advice on how to set it up. So I use it as a router or a AP ect.
What are the ethernet port(s) connected to? That is the first question. If it is the landlord's internet service, then you want to use your router in router mode.
Remember that your traffic shares bandwidth with him and possibly other nearby properties.

Mar 4, 2020

What are the ethernet port(s) connected to? That is the first question. If it is the landlord's internet service, then you want to use your router in router mode.
Remember that your traffic shares bandwidth with him and possibly other nearby properties.
I'm not 100% its just a port in the wall as far as I'm aware it's to my land Lords business WiFi

Mar 4, 2020
  • Once you log in this is where you can change your settings, change to SSID (that's the name of the wireless network) and the password (use wpa2)
  • Also update your firmware which it will probably do automatically
  • Save settings and reboot
  • You should now be able to connect your devices to the network
When inputting the SSID and password is this of my landlords WiFi or the one on my router?

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
When inputting the SSID and password is this of my landlords WiFi or the one on my router?
Well you don't have to change them at all necessarily maybe try everything else I said skip the ssid and password part for the moment and see if you can connect through WiFi. If it works then great you can go back and change them both to anything you'd like it if doesn't work then like kanewolf said you'll have to find out what the ports are connected to