Question How to achieve a 24gb vram result with 16gb vram? (build based on arc770)

undeadlord

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
Ok, I'm very confused these days about what to do, my goal is simple, I want to multibox diablo 4 at launch (it is allowed by tos to do so), I will have 4 clients running and use specialized hardware or software to play. After the beta testing it is determined that each client requires 5-6gb vram, people with high end machines with 24gb gpu were barely play at low settings at 4k resolution. I will either buy 3 PCs with 32gb ram and 8gb vram (such as 6600rx) or 1 pc who can handle all 4 clients. At the moment I'm thinking about the single super pc solution however the leap from 16gb to 24gb is 800+ euro something which I prefer to avoid since its way out of my budget and will put me in financial trouble.

As for now I'm thinking about a build around arc770 since it's very cost efficient card but I don't know if it will be able to handle the 4 clients at the lowest settings along with a low resolution. If it can't do that then I will waste money.

Here is the build, "a budget monster pc"

What would you do in my place?

Unfortunately, unlike RAM, VRAM cannot be stacked up. In other words, for example having two GPU devices with 8GB of VRAM each does NOT equal 16GB total VRAM. The cards will use their own separate frame buffer, which is 8GB.

Previous multi-GPU configs had some for of GPU VRAM stacking possible in some limited cases/in DX12, but now the technology has been dropped. SLI and CrossfireX are a thing of the past.

So VRAM cannot be stacked or increased unlike system memory.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

undeadlord

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
Unfortunately, unlike RAM, VRAM cannot be stacked up. In other words, having two GPU devices with 8GB of VRAM each does NOT equal 16GB total VRAM. The cards will use their own separate frame buffer.

Previous multi-GPU configs had some for of GPU VRAM stacking possible in some limited cases/DX12, but now the technology has been dropped. SLI and CrossfireX are a thing of the past.
nono, I think you confuse it with a previous thread, I'm not talking about stacking gpus here, I plan to use an arc770 instead of the 20-24gb ones since they are +800 euro.

The question is if I will be able to play properly and what I can do to reduce vram requirement.

nono, I think you confuse it with a previous thread, I'm not talking about stacking gpus here, I plan to use an arc770 instead of the 20-24gb ones since they are +800 euro.

The question is if I will be able to play properly and what I can do to reduce vram requirement.

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood your question. But no, I don't think you can reduce the VRAM requirements for Diablo 4 or any other game, at least on 4K. Having a single 24GB PC would be much better than having 3 systems with low VRAM amount imo, also taking into account the power requirements of each card and system.

But the game will still use the amount required regardless of config.

Assuming a 24GB GPU also struggles to play this game on low settings, then the Arc 770 won't magically change anything. Even if you use 3 or 4 ARC GPUs, you cannot trick the game into thinking that your GPU has more VRAM than the actual physical VRAM present on your system.

Last edited:
Reactions: undeadlord