[SOLVED] How to achieve stable Wi-Fi across the street?

Mar 12, 2019
Okay guys,

here is the plan:
1 apartment with internet connection.
1 apartment without internet connection.
Both are approximately 15 meters apart through windows -> air <- window!
The apartment with internet has an Ethernet cable at the window.
What is the best way to send a Wi-Fi signal to the other apartment?

I tried with a TP-Link Router (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B001FWYGJS) in repeater mode
but the signal was very weak and unstable (I tried to receive it with a MacBook Air 2012 and a phone) - probably no surprise.

I've read about those Ubiquiti NanoStation that can send a signal up to 1 mile.
Is this necessary for this little distance or would there be other ways to achieve a stable/fast signal?

AD5cHEr.png

Thank you!

Solution
They are pretty inpensive devices its not likely you are going to find something much cheaper. Since you already have a tplink I would try running it in AP mode and then use a nanostation in the remote location. Normally you run the nano stations in pairs but at that close a distance you likely can use one.
They are pretty inpensive devices its not likely you are going to find something much cheaper. Since you already have a tplink I would try running it in AP mode and then use a nanostation in the remote location. Normally you run the nano stations in pairs but at that close a distance you likely can use one.

Reactions: hollika
Solution
^ agree a DIY antenna is going to work, the WokFi mod is a bit easier to do. Use a tight mesh strainer (better for 5ghz), have gotten distances of a mile+, across the street should not be a problem. An AC600 usb adapter is about ~$15, strainer ~$7, usb extension ~$5, walmart gooseneck lamp (to mount the strainer to) ~$7.

Reactions: hollika
Mar 12, 2019
Thank you for the answers.

I didn't question the Ubiquiti because of their price, but because of their advertised distance.
It just felt like those are meant to be used for larger distances, not for short ones, therefor I was wondering if there would be anything more suited for the short/medium distance. But if they are also useful short-distance and are therefor also more stable I am happy to test them.

Thanks for the DIY approaches, but I would rather like to buy a working solution.

TRENDING THREADS