Question How to activate my GPU

seriouslyrobert1

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
So first off, I'm assuming this is the right area for this question. If not, please tell me.

I did a bit of searching on this issue and it said most likely my GPU not kicking in?

What my issue is:

My DWM is running at about 6gb of my memory, with low CPU usage, constantly. I looked at performance and it shows that my GeForce 2070 RTX Super is not doing anything. It's 8gb dedicated and 16gb shared. How do I get my card to activate so that my DWM is not using 6gb of ram all the time? If it's not a GPU issue...what else could it be?

Thanks in advance.

Hi seriouslyrobert1.

Let's start with the full system specs including the PSU brand and model.

That's a laptop so your RTX 2070 will only be used when needed. The integrated graphics is what is used when you're on the desktop doing light stuff.

If you want your RTX 2070 to be specified to be used with software instead of the integrated graphics you will have to go in your Nvidia Control Panel and in 3D settings and add the software to the profile and choose "High performance Nvidia Processor" for that software. In games your RTX 2070 will be used.

InvalidError

Titan
First, make sure your monitors are plugged into the dGPU. Otherwise, Windows will pick the IGP as the primary graphics adapter and use that by default. If Windows is still not using the GPU after that, you may need to go into your power plan settings and manually set the default GPU for your active power plan.

seriouslyrobert1

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
Go in your Nvidia Control Panel in 3D Settings. Do you see a "Preferred graphics processor" option where you can choose between integrated graphics and maximum performance Nvidia processor?

This.

View: https://imgur.com/9Tzu3GL

Yes I have that. Also, I started Fortnite and the GPU kicked in and the DWM went down to 250mb from the 6gb. I went in and changed it to GPU preferred, which I'm assuming you wanted me to? Also, mine only has 3d settings on the menu..how do I get it to show display and everything else like the one you shared?

Added edit: if my other settings aren't showing up does that mean there is a problem with my drivers or something similar?

seriouslyrobert1

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
First, make sure your monitors are plugged into the dGPU. Otherwise, Windows will pick the IGP as the primary graphics adapter and use that by default. If Windows is still not using the GPU after that, you may need to go into your power plan settings and manually set the default GPU for your active power plan.

So because it's a laptop and not on HDMI then it's just going to use the Intel until the GPU needs to activate? Can I change that, or lower the usage of memory by the DWM when I'm not on HDMI and using the GPU?

InvalidError

Titan
So because it's a laptop and not on HDMI then it's just going to use the Intel until the GPU needs to activate? Can I change that, or lower the usage of memory by the DWM when I'm not on HDMI and using the GPU?
If you force GPU usage in the active power plan, you should be able to get everything running on the GPU. You may take a significant battery life hit when unplugged.

seriouslyrobert1

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
If you force GPU usage in the active power plan, you should be able to get everything running on the GPU. You may take a significant battery life hit when unplugged.

Can you tell me what to click on to try that? My battery is tiny and I'm always plugged in anyway, so that's not a big deal. I went into the advanced power settings and didn't see any options for GPUs.

seriouslyrobert1

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
Go in your Nvidia Control Panel in 3D Settings. Do you see a "Preferred graphics processor" option where you can choose between integrated graphics and maximum performance Nvidia processor?

This.

View: https://imgur.com/9Tzu3GL

I don't see a response from you from last night so curious if you saw my reply. I have all that in the 3d menu and changed it to the preferred. But I'm curious how do I get all those extra display settings onto my menu? Is my driver not working correctly do you think?

seriouslyrobert1

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
Yes I have that. Also, I started Fortnite and the GPU kicked in and the DWM went down to 250mb from the 6gb. I went in and changed it to GPU preferred, which I'm assuming you wanted me to? Also, mine only has 3d settings on the menu..how do I get it to show display and everything else like the one you shared?

Added edit: if my other settings aren't showing up does that mean there is a problem with my drivers or something similar?

??