How to activate the server service

G

I have a win nt4.0 workstation box with a dual boot to win 2k workstation. Inside NT4.0 I can not get the browser (IE5.0) to retrieve any web pages. At start up it says (server service won't engage due to server stoarge error 1130). This is the reason the web pages cant load because without server services the computer browser service won't engage either. I enter the services menu in the control panel and try to start it manually but it says the same error. I dont know what could be stopping it from engaging. the system build is follows:
64MB RAM
10GB HDD (partitioned into 4 NTFS sections and the rest is free space, so thats more than the minimum 1MB I need.
Hi-val internal faxmodem 56k (I am in the Win2K side of the computer right now so i know the modem works.
The drives are win NT4.0 SP6a NTFS on C:
WIN 2K SP2 NTFS on drive D: and the other two drives are formatted for NTFS as storage areas. Then there is 1.54GB of free space that is not partitioned or being used. All drives show as healty under win2k.

If there is any other info you need I will find out, but I think this is all. I also use Prodigy 5.0 as my dial-up but it says its compatible with NT. The programs installed on NT are winzip,Mcafee,Netscape,Adobe Acrobat,Real Player. I also tried IE 5.5 and it still will not load a web page. Can someone help?

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
See Microsoft KBase article Q151427.

Short summary: Reinstall the latest service pack (Yes, again) and you should be good to go.

NT/2000 Admin for sale 60k OBO.

G

I cant go to the website and download the high encrytped version, because it will only install to the OS thats connected to the internet at the time. 1st you download the install program then it downloads directly from the ftp site into the windows update folder and begins to install automatically. And it will not download under any ohter version of windows.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Ah man...you are in for an adventure. The service packs, both high encryption and low can be downloaded independently of "windows update". The trick is finding the damn download page in microsofts monstrous website. I can't tell you off the top of my head where this is, but I can tell you I HAVE done it before.

I'll take a quick peek. If I find the spot, I'll come back here and post the link.

G

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH. Thanks for the info on how to find the full dowload service packs. I wish MS would dump the stupid direct install program and just put the full package on the website in plain view. Its better for me because i like to put all important downloads on a cd. Easier to move from pc to pc if there is no network. Thnks man, a whole bunch.