How to Activate Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KYLEDLH

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
Hi, so I saw Windows 10 has been released however like a lot of people my "reserved copy" wasn't downloading. I am a impatient guy, so I went looking for a manual download and found this - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 .
I downloaded it, burnt it on a CD, installed it, and I can not activate it. I am using my Windows 7 Home Premium key to activate it.
I reserved Windows 10 in my email and I am signed into that email address on Windows 10 and I "Go To Store" and there is not a licence waiting for me.
Anyone got any suggestions?

Solution
You need to upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10. That means that you need to start the install from within Windows 7 and chose upgrade. If you are looking for a clean install, after Windows 10 is activated, perform a "Reset this PC".

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
You need to upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10. That means that you need to start the install from within Windows 7 and chose upgrade. If you are looking for a clean install, after Windows 10 is activated, perform a "Reset this PC".

Solution

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
From the first link jpishgar posted
"You upgraded to Windows 10, but didn't have a previous version or the correct edition of Windows installed (error 0xC004F061)

If you see error 0xC004F061 when you try to activate Windows 10, it means one of the following:
•You're using a product key to upgrade to Windows 10, but a previous version of Windows wasn't installed on your PC. To update, you need to have Windows 8 or Windows 7 already on your PC.
If you formatted or replaced your hard drive, you won't be able to use a product key to update to Windows 10. You'll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 10."

Is this what you did, KYLEDH?

KYLEDLH

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

Ok I just reinstalled windows 7, activated it. Downloaded Windows 10 download tool, selected upgrade. I am now on Windows 10, however I still cannot activate it, I have the error - 0xC004F034. I think it may be their servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS