How to activate windows 10

xBaeCon

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017
I installed a free version of windows 10 pro from a tutorial I found on YouTube. https://youtu.be/SKbR6XT7fcA
Everything worked and I now want to activate windows seeing all of the benefits. My question is, will everything I have already done be okay and can someone show me a good cheap why to get and activation code? Thank you!

Solution
There is no "free" version of windows 10. You simply installed win 10 pro and are running it unactivated, it can run like this for a long time(possibly indefinitely unless Microsoft changes their minds) but you will have a watermark and some personalization features will not work till you activate.

A genuine windows key sold by an authorized seller is not going to be cheap. Win 10 pro costs $130-140. There are grey key sites that are not authorized resellers and are sketchy at best with many stories of bad keys and run around there are none I would recommend. If you buy a key and have issues Microsoft will offer no assistance other than to say is a bad key.

Any reason why you need the Pro version? Most users don't need features like...

USAFRet

Titan

1. There is no "cheap" Windows 10 license. It costs what it costs.

2. You activate it by purchasing a valid OS license.
About $85-$100.

You won't lose your current install.
Just apply the license key you purchase.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($92.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $92.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-06 13:00 EST-0500
----------------------------------------
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $138.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-06 13:04 EST-0500

bignastyid

Titan
There is no "free" version of windows 10. You simply installed win 10 pro and are running it unactivated, it can run like this for a long time(possibly indefinitely unless Microsoft changes their minds) but you will have a watermark and some personalization features will not work till you activate.

A genuine windows key sold by an authorized seller is not going to be cheap. Win 10 pro costs $130-140. There are grey key sites that are not authorized resellers and are sketchy at best with many stories of bad keys and run around there are none I would recommend. If you buy a key and have issues Microsoft will offer no assistance other than to say is a bad key.

Any reason why you need the Pro version? Most users don't need features like domain, group policy and Bitlocker. 10 Home is usually ~$40 cheaper than the Pro version, but it would require reinstalling.

Solution

xBaeCon

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017

xBaeCon

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017

If I do reinstall to win home, everything will be okay?

bignastyid

Titan

You'd have to do a clean reinstall which will wipe everything on the C: drive. If you want to keep evrything like it is then you'd need to buy the more expensive 10 Pro key.

xBaeCon

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017

I’ll just activate the windows 10pro since I have a good amount of stuff on there. Thank you again

TRENDING THREADS