[SOLVED] How to adapt laptop optical drive to sata?

I currently have a laptop used as a NAS.

I have a 2.5in SSD in the laptops SATA bay, but I am looking to add a 2TB 3.5in HDD to this laptop.
I would like to replace the optical drive and plug the HDD into the laptop via a cable. The problem is the laptops optical drive seems to use some shrunken sata interface.

Here is the optical drive: https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-UJ8G2-Rewritable-Drive-T101377/dp/B01327KZF2

How can I adapt this to a 3.5in sata HDD.

Solution
Figured it out. Powered the 3.5in drive externally.

I found only the power portion of the slimline connector is different from regular SATA. A normal SATA data cable can plug into the ODD.
Used a SATA female to male adapter. One end is plugged into one part the slimline port and the other end goes to the HDD.

It took some snipping of the cable, but it worked.

The drive shows up in bios as the ODD, but FreeNAS sees it.

popatim

Titan
You won't be able to put a 3.5" drive into your laptop but they make drive bay adapters that would allow you to mount a 2.5" drive inside one and slide that into the optical drive bay.

The slimline sata adapter your laptop has does not carry 12v that the 3.5" drive would need to spin up.
laptop optical drives use a slimline adapter, not a micro.

The laptop is permanently attached to my router anyhow, so I was thinking more of hanging SATA cables out the side and the 3.5in drive sitting on top of the laptop.

I noticed a normal SATA cable will plug into the optical drive's interface. The power part of the interface is different, and thanks for pointing that 12v bit out. I didn't realize that.

I have a USB to SATA adapter I was going to use, but I would like greater than USB speed.
This adapter consists of a Molex power supply plugged into a Molex to sata power adapter. Then there is a USB to sata data cable.

I was thinking of plugging the molex psu and molex to sata adapter to power the drive. Then for the data part I would plug a female cable into the laptops optical drive port and the other end into the 3.5in drive

Figured it out. Powered the 3.5in drive externally.

I found only the power portion of the slimline connector is different from regular SATA. A normal SATA data cable can plug into the ODD.
Used a SATA female to male adapter. One end is plugged into one part the slimline port and the other end goes to the HDD.

It took some snipping of the cable, but it worked.

The drive shows up in bios as the ODD, but FreeNAS sees it.

Solution