Question How to ADD access to AHCI drives to Windows XP Pro?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have an older system on an ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe mobo. It uses a ULI M1575 chip for HDD control. I have it running Windows XP Pro booting from a SATA drive using the "work-around" of setting SATA port access to IDE Emulation Mode. All good.

Now I want to change to Win 10 on an SSD, so I want to switch to AHCI Mode on the SATA ports. I will keep my pair of SATA HDD's, too, for data storage. Then all that stuff is available when I boot from the SSD on a SATA port.

Now, I also want to have rare use of the old Win XP system, so I have cloned my C: drive to an older smaller IDE HDD. Using the F8 key at boot time I CAN boot from that old drive on an IDE port OR from the new SSD on a SATA port. If I'm in Win 10 that way, I expect I can access the older drive on the IDE port no problem. BUT if I boot from the IDE drive into Win XP Pro, that O/S will not be able to access the SSD or HDD units on the SATA ports using AHCI mode because it never had any AHCI device driver. Does anyone know where to get a device driver for use in 32-bit Win XP Pro and for that ULI M1575 chip that I can just install in the Win XP O/S on the IDE drive to enable such access?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks, but that's the wrong one. The mobo does have a Silicon Image 3132 SATA controller chip on it, but that chip only adds two SATA ports. One of those is an external e-SATA port on the back panel; the other is an internal common SATA port. These two MAY be configured for a 2-disk RAID0 or RAID1 array, but I am using it solely for a non-RAID eSATA external HDD unit. Apparently that controller is NOT using the AHCI system becasue it has always worked perfectly with Win XP Pro.

My query is about how the four "regular" SATA ports on the mobo can be used as I wish. Those four plus the two IDE ports of the mobo all are controlled by the main
Southbridge chip, the ULi M1575. For it, BIOS Setup offers the widely-used "work-around" option of limiting all four SATA ports to IDE Emulation Mode so that Windows XP, with NO added AHCI driver, can use HDD's on those ports as if they were simply older IDE drives. That's what I have been doing with my pair of SATA HDD's. Now I'd like to change that to using proper AHCI drive devices (including a new SSD on a third port) and re-Partitioning and -Formatting the old pair under that access system. The SSD will be my new boot drive normally. BUT alternatively I also want to be able to boot from a FOURTH (older) drive of the IDE type on one of the mobo IDE ports, and that unit has Win XP Pro installed on it. Then, IF possible, I'd like to install a device driver in the Win XP Pro OS on that older drive so that it can access data drives connected to the SATA ports that are all using the AHCI system. I keep thinking that AHCI drives are just another type of device that requires a driver, so IF such a driver exists for the ULi 1575 chip and the Win XP Pro O/S, installing it should do what I need.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have given up on this plan, so please don't worry about it. Whether or not the driver I sought exists, I realized another insoluble problem. My plan is to change the way I use the SATA drives to AHCI devices (not IDE) PLUS Partition them in the new GUI style. So even though I can BOOT from Win XP Pro on an older IDE drive (not booting from the SATA units), I will never be able to access those SATA drives because the only version of Win XP Pro that has a the ability to access GUI-Partitioned drives is the 64-bit one. My XP Pro installed on the IDE drive is 32-bit, and the whole point of using it was NOT to make any major changes and thus preserve use of some old software.

Thus my plan changes to something relatively simple. I can boot either from the IDE drive with Win XP Pro 32-bit, or from the new SSD (MBR Partition since my old mobo does not have UEFI Suuport to boot from a GUI-Partitioned drive) with Win 10 64-bit installed. The system has two SATA drives Partitioned in the GUI style and accessed as AHCI devices. When using XP I have access only to the IDE drive. But when using Win 10 I have access to all drives and can move stuff around.