How to add GPU water cooling to a PC (MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G)

KaDeTime

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Hello all,
I have a MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G GPU that I would like to water cool. I already have a Corsair 110x CPU standalone cooler now the question is what is the best way to add the GPU. I think the only choices are
1. Remove the CPU cooler and make a full loop with GPU
Or
2. Add a small radiator on the back of the case for GPU with standalone loop (like MSI sea-hawk)
Has anyone have been in the same situation could someone recommend something? Part numbers or kits with links would be great.
Thank you in advance.

Solution
It depends on what you want to spend money on, to be honest. You'll see a better performance improvement by going to a newer card, but you'll end up spending that extra money to do so. Spending the extra money on cooling might allow you to bump to a better overclock, but it depends if that's on your to-do list.

I don't know what the TDP will be on the 1080 Ti's will be, but I'm assuming they will be higher than the current 180w TDP of the 1080...so, maybe 200w? Not certain. But lower TDP means lower heat output, but also (again) means spending that money.

All these scenarios involve spending cash and it kind of depends on what your preference is...that's ultimately where the hard choice lies.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Are you trying to create a cooling loop with a Corsair closed loop cooler?

Best idea: build a custom loop for CPU + GPU. Looks like EK has full cover blocks for your card.

Very good idea: get a Swiftech H240/H220 X2 or EK Predator 240/360 and then a waterblock for your card to finish the loop.

OK Idea: get another closed loop cooler with a GPU mounting plate.

KaDeTime

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
well i guess the second question would be should i invest in this or use the 980 ti until 1080 ti is out and then get that i use UHD monitor with 144hz and the 980 maxed out stays over 60fpt on Tom R. and others but tamps are at 70C and loud witch all the fans.

what you thnk Rubi?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It depends on what you want to spend money on, to be honest. You'll see a better performance improvement by going to a newer card, but you'll end up spending that extra money to do so. Spending the extra money on cooling might allow you to bump to a better overclock, but it depends if that's on your to-do list.

I don't know what the TDP will be on the 1080 Ti's will be, but I'm assuming they will be higher than the current 180w TDP of the 1080...so, maybe 200w? Not certain. But lower TDP means lower heat output, but also (again) means spending that money.

All these scenarios involve spending cash and it kind of depends on what your preference is...that's ultimately where the hard choice lies.

Solution