Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
I have a MSI B450M Pro VDH mobo. It has 2 system fan slots [SYS_FAN1,SYS_FAN2].
I have a current setup of 1 In 1 out case fan, both are 120mm. One fan came with the case(Corsair carbide spec 04) and it is a PWM fan.The other one is not and is a 12VDC fan(planning to replace it with PWM).
There are 3 empty places to add 3 more case fans. So I was planning to do 3 out 2 in.

With the current setup how do I get to connect more fans than the slots in the mobo and also make all PWM ? Yes I'll buy PWM fans this time. Reason being I have R5 3600 and Asus RX 570 strix model. They are creating a lot of hot air which has to be moved out asap. So I checked out some videos and they are using some HUB or something for the same. Some recommend to use splliter cable .
Which way would you recommend and why ?
Thank you for your answers as I'm really new in this segment so I might be asking dumb.

Solution
https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Com...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07F8LV1BY

A splitter cable (similar to one above) has always worked well for me. But there is an important consideration: you have to know your motherboard specification for maximum power draw on the fan headers, then add up the total maximum power draw of all the fans on that header/splitter. It has to be less.

All the fans on that one splitter will, of course, follow the profile set for the header. That's actually kind of nice IME. RPM reported will be for one fan only but...
https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Com...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07F8LV1BY

A splitter cable (similar to one above) has always worked well for me. But there is an important consideration: you have to know your motherboard specification for maximum power draw on the fan headers, then add up the total maximum power draw of all the fans on that header/splitter. It has to be less.

All the fans on that one splitter will, of course, follow the profile set for the header. That's actually kind of nice IME. RPM reported will be for one fan only but I match fan size/make/type on a single splitter so that the RPM for the one is obviously the same for the others.

Using a hub usually lets you avoid the hassle of worrying about fan power... within reason and assuming the hub you buy has decent power handling.

Reactions: sdstrait
Solution

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015

All the fans on that one splitter will, of course, follow the profile set for the header. That's actually kind of nice IME. RPM reported will be for one fan only but I match fan size/make/type on a single splitter so that the RPM for the one is obviously the same for the others.

Using a hub usually lets you avoid the hassle of worrying about fan power... within reason and assuming the hub you buy has decent power handling.
so it is like Y splitters are the ones which help us to connect the PWM part of the fan to the motherboard , correct ?
One doubt. Suppose the fan is a RGB fan which can be controlled. so I have only 1 JRGB port. How to use all 4 fans to that one port ? For Fan header in the motherboard , I understand that total fans connected current should be less than 1Ampere for a specific header. That will be done by the Y splitter. How to get all those to RGB controlled ? Does JRGB port also has any limitation like power limit or something ? or can i connect any number of fans to it ?

Sorry for the long query but totally new to this.

so it is like Y splitters are the ones which help us to connect the PWM part of the fan to the motherboard , correct ?
One doubt. Suppose the fan is a RGB fan which can be controlled. so I have only 1 JRGB port. How to use all 4 fans to that one port ? For Fan header in the motherboard , I understand that total fans connected current should be less than 1Ampere for a specific header. That will be done by the Y splitter. How to get all those to RGB controlled ? Does JRGB port also has any limitation like power limit or something ? or can i connect any number of fans to it ?

Sorry for the long query but totally new to this.
Yes, it's a like a Y splitter for PWM.

But I have no idea how to make RGB fans work... you probably need an appropriate controller but I don't know what works. Sorry.

Reactions: Vishal_7

TRENDING THREADS