How to add more space to System partition in Windows 7?

jaydee77ca

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
How to add more space to System partition in Windows 7

Hi,

I want to add more space to my Windows 7 System partition so I can upgrade to Windows 10. I have two 1 TB disks in a RAID0 configuration. They are partitioned into an 83 GB MBR System partition and 847 GB GPT Data partition.

When I look at the disks in Disk Management I see the following:

Disk 0 - Basic MBR
System Reserved - 100 MB NTFS - Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
System (C) - 83 GB NTFS - Healthy (Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Disk 1 - Basic GPT
Data (D) - 847 GB NTFS - Healthy (Page File, Primary Partition)

I'm not sure why they appear as two separate disks. Is it because one is MBR and the other is GPT? Do I need to first convert Disk 1 to MBR before I can resize the D: partition and use the space to increase the C: partition?

Thanks very much for the help!

Solution
I said 83gb is more then enough for win10 , not win10 and programs. :)

Win10 by itself is about 12GB.

You definitely do not have enough free space for w10 upgrade to preserve the old OS. I would suggest that you backup the current windows partition.

Is your 'data' partition backed up already?

popatim

Titan
83GB is plenty for win10,
Anyways, you can backup your pc and then delete all the partitions during inst (click 'Drive Options' on the Where do you want to install to screen) and either let windows partition the drive or repartition it manually.

jaydee77ca

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009

Except that there is only 1.5 GB free of the 83 GB. (Win7 consuming 44 GB, AppData like Picasa and Apple consuming 22 GB, and ProgramData like McAfee consuming 12 GB)

I'm concerned that there may not be enough free space to perform the upgrade.

popatim

Titan
I said 83gb is more then enough for win10 , not win10 and programs. :)

Win10 by itself is about 12GB.

You definitely do not have enough free space for w10 upgrade to preserve the old OS. I would suggest that you backup the current windows partition.

Is your 'data' partition backed up already?

Solution