[SOLVED] How to add programs on HDD after reinstall on C drive

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Hello. I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD with most of my programs installed on an HDD. I wanted to try the Linux subsystem thing Microsoft released, so I turned it on in the "Turn Windows Features On" menu. My PC started to bootloop. I tried booting into safe mode, restoring to earlier system restore point, startup repair, and bootrec commands in the recovery environment. Nothing worked. Turning on the Linux Subsytem ruined my Windows, so I reinstalled Windows. All my files and almost all my programs were on my HDD, which is good. Though only problem is that Windows does not know my programs are installed. If I go to the installation folder in the HDD, they will open. But the programs are not listed in the list of programs in the apps and features/ programs and features list. They also don't show up with search. I guess I could make most of them work by just making a shortcut to my Desktop, but is there a better way? Do I need to reinstall them? Also, a bonus question is why did the Linux ruin my Windows and if I could turn it on without being bootlooped. Thank you for your reply.

Solution
Some of them you can just reinstall but first save work done by them or if games, game saves and then return them to original place.
Not all programs and games would work or work properly if not in the Registry and/or have some files in C:, those can't be uninstalled the usual way but can be just deleted without consequence. There's also Revo Uninstaller that has "Hunter mode", you simply point it to program's .exe and it should clean them up.
Don't know about Linux subsystem ruining W10 unless you were using some wrong commands in it, mine is working fine but I also have Mint in another disk in dual boot with Windows so haven't had a need to work much with it.
Some of them you can just reinstall but first save work done by them or if games, game saves and then return them to original place.
Not all programs and games would work or work properly if not in the Registry and/or have some files in C:, those can't be uninstalled the usual way but can be just deleted without consequence. There's also Revo Uninstaller that has "Hunter mode", you simply point it to program's .exe and it should clean them up.
Don't know about Linux subsystem ruining W10 unless you were using some wrong commands in it, mine is working fine but I also have Mint in another disk in dual boot with Windows so haven't had a need to work much with it.

Solution

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Thank you for your response. If I had a copy of my registry from just a few days before it bootlooped, could I import it, or would that probably cause problems? Would it work?

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for your response. If I had a copy of my registry from just a few days before it bootlooped, could I import it, or would that probably cause problems? Would it work?
That will absolutely cause issues.

A new Windows OS install will know nothing about whatever applications were installed before, no matter where they are.
You'll need to reinstall them.

You can reinstall them in the same locations as previous, probably.

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
That will absolutely cause issues.

A new Windows OS install will know nothing about whatever applications were installed before, no matter where they are.
You'll need to reinstall them.

You can reinstall them in the same locations as previous, probably.
Thank you. I'll just reinstall them.