[SOLVED] How to add second wireless router

Jan 12, 2020
We are in an unusual situation and could use advice. A family member is in the ICU with traumatic brain injury, and we are staying in his home from out of town. We don't know the password to his wireless network. Can we purchase another wireless router and set up a second wireless network for our use? If so, any advice on set up? Thanks!

Solution
We are in an unusual situation and could use advice. A family member is in the ICU with traumatic brain injury, and we are staying in his home from out of town. We don't know the password to his wireless network. Can we purchase another wireless router and set up a second wireless network for our use? If so, any advice on set up? Thanks!
Yes. You can. Just plug the second router into the LAN port of the first. The other option would be to factory reset his router, but that runs the risk of losing any login information that might be stored in the router and required to get access.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes. You can. Just plug the second router into the LAN port of the first. The other option would be to factory reset his router, but that runs the risk of losing any login information that might be stored in the router and required to get access.

Solution
Jan 12, 2020
Thank you for your helpful feedback. What I just did was order a router identical to the one that he has now. It looks to me like all 4 ethernet ports are in use in his current router. Should I purchase a splitter to add and if so, do you have a suggestion of product on Amazon?

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your helpful feedback. What I just did was order a router identical to the one that he has now. It looks to me like all 4 ethernet ports are in use in his current router. Should I purchase a splitter to add and if so, do you have a suggestion of product on Amazon?
You could see if you can determine what the cables are plugged into. If it is a TV or something like that, then just temporarily move the cable to one of your new LAN ports and connect in your router. MOST devices won't care about the extra router in the chain.