Question How to add USB ports on-board

Jan 29, 2023
The motherboard for my last buld, a long time ago, had "expansion slots". Amazon still sells cards that plug into such a slot, adding a bunch of ports. Now I'd like to build an AM5 machine, but apparently there are no longer any expansion slots. What has replaced them?

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
The motherboard for my last buld, a long time ago, had "expansion slots". Amazon still sells cards that plug into such a slot, adding a bunch of ports. Now I'd like to build an AM5 machine, but apparently there are no longer any expansion slots. What has replaced them?
Where are you getting the idea that there are no longer any expansion slots?

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I'm looking at pictures of boards. They don't have the same slots I used to use for cards that added sound or whatever.
If you're speaking of PCI cards and/or AGP cards, those slots are no longer in production.
I state this cautiously, as there may be the occasional motherboard (probably server boards) that MIGHT still use PCI slots, but for the general "home user" market, NOBODY is putting out PCI slots anymore.

The slot in use nowadays is called PCI Express, sometimes abbreviated PCIe.
PCIe slots are FAR BEYOND what PCI slots were.

PCI Express slots all use the same basic architecture, and they come in PCI Express x1, x4, x8, and x16 slots. X16 slots, for example, are pretty much relegated to video card use.
But here's what's great about PCI Express. If you have a PCI x1 card, you can use it in ANY slot it will fit. So you can use an x1 card in an x1 slot, or you can also use it in an x4, x8, or x16 slot. Likewise, an x4 card can be used in an x4, x8, or x16 slot, but not an x1 slot because it physically won't fit.
Everything about PCI Express is better than PCI. The death of PCI isn't something we should lament, it's something we should celebrate. And any card you might have installed into a PCI slot they make modern PCI Express versions of. Such as the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z SE, which is a PCI Express x1 sound card.

I'm looking at pictures of boards. They don't have the same slots I used to use for cards that added sound or whatever.
Please list model name of board in question.
Different boards have different capabilities.
Smaller boards like mITX form factor will have less space for additional USB ports.
Depending on onboard ports available, you can use a compatible USB bracket to add additional ports.

Dual-9-Pin-Motherboard-Header-Quad-4-USB-2.0-Female-Port-Cable-Rear-Slot-Bracket.jpg

img.aspx

Jan 29, 2023
If you're speaking of PCI cards ...
Thanks very much for the information. Again, looking at motherboards and cases, I don't see any way to add a bunch of USB ports. (Back in the day, one end of an expansion card was next to the I/O panel.)
I'm sure I'm just not understanding... Obviously, I can use a hub, but if I'm going to do an up-to-date build, I'd like to find a more elegant solution.

jasonf2

Distinguished
If USB expansion is all you are wanting there are typically breakout headers on the board. This is obviously dependent on the motherboard you are purchasing. From those headers you can add expansion slot ports like the ones that skynetrising pictured above or in many cases the physical case you are purchasing will have the ports built in. Those ports will have similar cable connectors to hook to the board header. You just plug them into the motherboard.

Jan 29, 2023
Smaller boards like mITX form factor will have less space for additional USB ports.
Depending on onboard ports available, you can use a compatible USB bracket to add additional ports.

Dual-9-Pin-Motherboard-Header-Quad-4-USB-2.0-Female-Port-Cable-Rear-Slot-Bracket.jpg

img.aspx
Thanks for your patience.
The items you're showing are what I had in mind... but I don't see where they can be slotted into a present-day mobo:
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-B65...mzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Jan 29, 2023
If he's talking about USB ports, and man his post sure makes it sound like he's talkin about PCI slots, but if all he needs is USB ports, you can stick 2 or 3 of these on any motherboard that has slots for em to go in.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/513971/visiontek-4-port-usb-32-gen-1-x1-pcie-internal-card
That's what I want... I guess... But where do I put it?
.... and as long as I'm asking stupid questions: how do I post images here, from a tablet? The icons above this text box require a URL.

jasonf2

Distinguished
That's what I want... I guess... But where do I put it?
.... and as long as I'm asking stupid questions: how do I post images here, from a tablet? The icons above this text box require a URL.
From the board market pics there are USB headers on the right hand side. This is a small form factor board (matx), but there are still a couple of PCIe headers that the other expansion card would plug into although it wouldn't make any sense as it looks like there are two or three expansion headers and about 6 usb on the board IO backplane.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I must be having a senior moment. I downloaded imgur from the Play Store... I see no means of uploading.

Create account first using Imgur app. After that, login and press on + icon. Can upload pictures listed on your device or take photo then follow the prompts to add image to your account. You'll figure it out. Once image is there copy direct link and paste in image tool here.

Jan 29, 2023
Create account first using Imgur app. After that, login and press on + icon. Can upload pictures listed on your device or take photo then follow the prompts to add image to your account. You'll figure it out. Once image is there copy direct link and paste in image tool here.
I got there eventually. An Android tablet must be set in "PC mode".
Thanks for your help.

Jan 29, 2023
Just out of curiosity, how many USB ports do you NEED?
Two or three more than I have... regardless of how many I have. It's a corollary to Parkinson's Law ("Work always expands to exceed allotted time"). In this case, "The need for USB ports always expands to exceed available ports".
On my current computer, I have five ports. And a seven-port hub. 🤪 🤪

Jan 29, 2023

I'm beginning to understand... maybe...
The card plugs into the riser. But where does the card "slot in", so that the new ports are available to the user.
NEVER MIND
I've looked at several cases. They all have pop-outs next to their I/O.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited: