How to adjust case fan speed based on GPU temperature?

gyking94

Distinguished
May 28, 2014
Do case fans rev up according to the hottest component, or the CPU only? I want them to spin according to GPU temperatures. Can I do that with SpeedFan, it's such a complicated program?

Solution
You can do it with SpeedFan...maybe. If it works with your mobo (doesn't like ROG boards, plus some others), and if it works with your fans, and if you have the time to set it up, you should be able to control your fans speeds based on GPU temps.

Your two other alternatives are to get an aftermarket fan controller with temp probes that will allow all of the case fans to trigger off of a single probe reading (I believe the Bitfenix Recon 2 will do it, but I'd have to check), or if you have PWM fans you could rig a PWM splitter like the Akasa 5-way and connect it via a mini- GPU fan connector adapter directly to your GPU. If you do that, whenever your GPU fans ramp up, so do your case fans. Only problem with going with the...
You can do it with SpeedFan...maybe. If it works with your mobo (doesn't like ROG boards, plus some others), and if it works with your fans, and if you have the time to set it up, you should be able to control your fans speeds based on GPU temps.

Your two other alternatives are to get an aftermarket fan controller with temp probes that will allow all of the case fans to trigger off of a single probe reading (I believe the Bitfenix Recon 2 will do it, but I'd have to check), or if you have PWM fans you could rig a PWM splitter like the Akasa 5-way and connect it via a mini- GPU fan connector adapter directly to your GPU. If you do that, whenever your GPU fans ramp up, so do your case fans. Only problem with going with the GPU-connection route is possibly hanging your CPU out to dry if it's maxing out and your GPU is idling.

Solution