[SOLVED] How to adjust parameters to make DRAM more stable?

zipswich

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Let me briefly describe the situation first, then I will provide more details.

It took a while for me to figure out that the BSOD of my PC is caused by the DRAM. I reduced the frequency of BSOD dramatically by using Direct Over Clock Profile and increasing the DRAM voltage and reducing the RAM frequency. I still get BSOD periodically. Increasing the DRAM voltage further seems to make it worse.

There are so many parameters that I can change that I am confused. I am wondering if an expert can let me know which parameters that I should experiment with to make the DRAM more stable.

The pictures of the screenshots of Asus Ai Tweaker.

t1ydVAw.jpg
toLFCK4.jpg
a1ucr0i.jpg
mW6e8Ak.jpg
cAUVrGo.jpg

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Other OS Description Not Available
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 4801, 2019-04-26
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
BaseBoard Version Rev X.0x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1151"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 17.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 48.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 27.6 GB
Page File Space 17.0 GB
Page File E:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Not Available
Virtualization-based security Running
Virtualization-based security Required Security Properties
Virtualization-based security Available Security Properties Base Virtualization Support, DMA Protection, Secure Memory Overwrite, UEFI Code Readonly
Virtualization-based security Services Configured
Virtualization-based security Services Running
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, WinRE is not configured, TPM is not usable
A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.

Solution
Please forgive my ignorance. I am confused. The memory is labeled 3000MHz. What does this number mean exactly?
It means the manufacturer has tested and verified the functionallity to 1500Mhz (3000 mega-transfers / sec). Your settings are attempting to run at 3733 mega transfers. WAY over the tested values. Even the 1600 that @Zerk2012 recommended is above the factory tested value.
For the FACTORY approved value, you would leave the Frequency in AUTO and let the DOCP choose it.

kanewolf

Titan
Please forgive my ignorance. I am confused. The memory is labeled 3000MHz. What does this number mean exactly?
It means the manufacturer has tested and verified the functionallity to 1500Mhz (3000 mega-transfers / sec). Your settings are attempting to run at 3733 mega transfers. WAY over the tested values. Even the 1600 that @Zerk2012 recommended is above the factory tested value.
For the FACTORY approved value, you would leave the Frequency in AUTO and let the DOCP choose it.

Reactions: zipswich
Solution

zipswich

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Thank you.
My goodness! I have misunderstood the number all along. I thought 3000 was the memory frequency. Why don't the manufacturers use MT instead of MHz.
I hope I have not damaged the RAM.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you.
My goodness! I have misunderstood the number all along. I thought 3000 was the memory frequency. Why don't the manufacturers use MT instead of MHz.
I hope I have not damaged the RAM.
Some software shows the effective rate (what is advertised). The memory is DDR -- double data rate. That means that it transfers on the rising and falling edges of the square wave that is used for the clock signal. So a 1500 Mhz clock has an effective transfer of 3000.

Reactions: zipswich

zipswich

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I tried to start from scratch. I think the default setting is auto for everything as shown by the following pictures. The PC usually crashes in minutes:
e8CMS6z.jpg
orx14mA.jpg

Then I tried DOCP Standard and set Memory Frequency to Auto. It takes a longer time to get BSOD
7ChY5qB.jpg

q8wsKg7.jpg