How to adjust steering

ditch

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005

Is there a way to adjust the ground handling characteristics of an airplane?
Specifically, the 727 by Captain Sim. It just doesn't want to turn tight
enough.
Yea, I know I can use differential braking, but that isn't how they do it.

dallas

"Ditch"
> Is there a way to adjust the ground handling characteristics of an
airplane?
> It just doesn't want to turn tight enough.

Thankfully, yes. I do it all the time...

Find the 727's Aircraft.cfg file and open it in a text editor.

Do a search for the term: point.0

The eighth value in that string is the steering angle.

I usually count eight commas and the value to the left of the comma is the
one to modify.

Example:
point.0 = 1, 0.82, 0.00, -3.77, 1600, 0, 0.633, 40, 0.42, 4.0, 0.90, 3.0,
3.0, 0, 152, 180

The steering value above is: 40 (40°)

You'll have a value smaller than that... just increase it. 35 to 40
produces tight turns.

Dallas

This is useful info. I also have this prog and its good. But this
characteristic makes me use the 200 series all the time which does have a
tighter [manageable] turning circle.

> "Ditch"
>> Is there a way to adjust the ground handling characteristics of an
> airplane?
>> It just doesn't want to turn tight enough.
>

> Thankfully, yes. I do it all the time...
>
> Find the 727's Aircraft.cfg file and open it in a text editor.
>
> Do a search for the term: point.0
>
> The eighth value in that string is the steering angle.
>
> I usually count eight commas and the value to the left of the comma is the
> one to modify.
>
> Example:
> point.0 = 1, 0.82, 0.00, -3.77, 1600, 0, 0.633, 40, 0.42, 4.0, 0.90, 3.0,
> 3.0, 0, 152, 180
>
> The steering value above is: 40 (40°)
>
> You'll have a value smaller than that... just increase it. 35 to 40
> produces tight turns.
>

> Dallas

ditch

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005

Awesome! Thank you very much.

> "Ditch"
> > Is there a way to adjust the ground handling characteristics of an
> airplane?
> > It just doesn't want to turn tight enough.
>

> Thankfully, yes. I do it all the time...
>
> Find the 727's Aircraft.cfg file and open it in a text editor.
>
> Do a search for the term: point.0
>
> The eighth value in that string is the steering angle.
>
> I usually count eight commas and the value to the left of the comma is the
> one to modify.
>
> Example:
> point.0 = 1, 0.82, 0.00, -3.77, 1600, 0, 0.633, 40, 0.42, 4.0, 0.90, 3.0,
> 3.0, 0, 152, 180
>
> The steering value above is: 40 (40°)
>
> You'll have a value smaller than that... just increase it. 35 to 40
> produces tight turns.
>

> Dallas

Changed the setting on the 727-100 to '45' from '25' same as the 727-200 and
its fine. Works great. Thanks.

"Ashley Wyatt" <ashley.wyatt@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> This is useful info. I also have this prog and its good. But this
> characteristic makes me use the 200 series all the time which does have a
> tighter [manageable] turning circle.
>

> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>> "Ditch"
>>> Is there a way to adjust the ground handling characteristics of an
>> airplane?
>>> It just doesn't want to turn tight enough.
>>

>> Thankfully, yes. I do it all the time...
>>
>> Find the 727's Aircraft.cfg file and open it in a text editor.
>>
>> Do a search for the term: point.0
>>
>> The eighth value in that string is the steering angle.
>>
>> I usually count eight commas and the value to the left of the comma is
>> the
>> one to modify.
>>
>> Example:
>> point.0 = 1, 0.82, 0.00, -3.77, 1600, 0, 0.633, 40, 0.42, 4.0, 0.90, 3.0,
>> 3.0, 0, 152, 180
>>
>> The steering value above is: 40 (40°)
>>
>> You'll have a value smaller than that... just increase it. 35 to 40
>> produces tight turns.
>>

>> Dallas

dallas

"Ashley Wyatt"
> Changed the setting on the 727-100 to '45' from '25' same as the 727-200
and
> its fine. Works great. Thanks.

I don't know why they call me Varmit around here... I think "TweakMaster"
would have been better... :)

Varmit

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dallas wrote:

> "Ditch"
>
>>Is there a way to adjust the ground handling characteristics of an
>
> airplane?
>
>> It just doesn't want to turn tight enough.
>

> Thankfully, yes. I do it all the time...
>
> Find the 727's Aircraft.cfg file and open it in a text editor.
>

> Dallas

snip

Is it just me or is everyone getting duplicate messages several days
after the original?

--

boB, SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

dallas

"boB"
> Is it just me or is everyone getting duplicate messages several days
> after the original?

We had a very similar thread a day or two ago.

Dallas