How to alter DNS with CMD command?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

An wrote:
> What is the interface name?
> This is the IPConfig /all reply:
> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bzmc-01
> Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
>
> PPP adapter 6413:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> 211.64.57.1
> NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

I would think it's "PPP adapter 6413", but not sure with dialup adapters.
When I ran a dump, it told me "Local Area Connection", which is my
connection name, which happens to be the default. It's what you call it in
Network & Dialup Connections window. But like I said, not sure about
dialup/ppp connections.

Ace

An wrote:
> Thank you,Ace and Herb,for your answer to my question.
> I have found it pretty good to "talk" to you.Now there
> is a new question here.

My pleasure!

Ace

> I would think it's "PPP adapter 6413", but not sure with dialup adapters.
> When I ran a dump, it told me "Local Area Connection", which is my
> connection name, which happens to be the default. It's what you call it in
> Network & Dialup Connections window. But like I said, not sure about
> dialup/ppp connections.

You are correct -- I went through this before and forgot.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:OymAvL$ZFHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> An wrote:
> > What is the interface name?
> > This is the IPConfig /all reply:

-
> > Windows 2000 IP Configuration
> >
> > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bzmc-01
> > Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
> > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
> > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> >
> > PPP adapter 6413:
> >
> > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
> > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 211.64.56.243
> > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
> > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 211.64.56.243
> > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 211.64.56.1
> > 211.64.57.1
> > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

> I would think it's "PPP adapter 6413", but not sure with dialup adapters.
> When I ran a dump, it told me "Local Area Connection", which is my
> connection name, which happens to be the default. It's what you call it in
> Network & Dialup Connections window. But like I said, not sure about
> dialup/ppp connections.
>
> Ace

I have tried many of the posible names,all with quotes.
"WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface","6413",etc.
They are all invalid interface names.
--------------------------------------
An

Have you dumped it while the connection is ACTIVE?

The name it uses in the dump is the one it expects when you exec.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

"An" <anyukuan@sohu.com> wrote in message
> I have tried many of the posible names,all with quotes.
> "WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface","6413",etc.
> They are all invalid interface names.
> --------------------------------------
> An

There is only one exception, use NULL name:
add dns "" 211.64.56.2
The reply is "Error when get configuration from interface "
Just like the error message from DUMP command.

"PPP adapter 6413" is my second trying name,invalid.
May be it is a bug.

"An" <pinetree@sohu.com> wrote in message
> "PPP adapter 6413" is my second trying name,invalid.
> May be it is a bug.

What software is creating that adapter?

Usually MS dial/vpn's have a NDIS_WAN in the name
(the last time I looked.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

"An" <pinetree@sohu.com> wrote in message
> "PPP adapter 6413" is my second trying name,invalid.
> May be it is a bug.

What software is creating that adapter?

Usually MS dial/vpn's have a NDIS_WAN in the name
(the last time I looked.)

Show me the "netsh interface ip dump >t.txt" file --
paste it in from the file; please don't type it or change
it, or use a graphic.

Do this while connected.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

"netsh interface ip dump >t.txt" result:

# ----------------------------------
# ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖÃ
# ----------------------------------
pushd interface ip

´Ó½Ó¿Ú {93856A9A-802A-427A-A2FF-777CF57974FE} »ñÈ¡ÅäÖÃʱ³öÏÖ´íÎó¡£

popd
# ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖýáÊø

> "netsh interface ip dump >t.txt" result:
>
> # ----------------------------------
> # ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖÃ
> # ----------------------------------
> pushd interface ip
>
> ´Ó½Ó¿Ú {93856A9A-802A-427A-A2FF-777CF57974FE} »ñÈ¡ÅäÖÃʱ³öÏÖ´íÎó¡£
>

> popd
> # ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖýáÊø

What's you Encoding? Or national language so I can guess
the encoding maybe....

All I saw above was 'letter salad' so I need to pull down the
menu Format->Encoding and choose something to let me see
this.

You may have a character set bug too. Something about your
national version of Windows and the command line tools.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

> "netsh interface ip dump >t.txt" result:
>
> # ----------------------------------
> # ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖÃ
> # ----------------------------------
> pushd interface ip
>
> ´Ó½Ó¿Ú {93856A9A-802A-427A-A2FF-777CF57974FE} »ñÈ¡ÅäÖÃʱ³öÏÖ´íÎó¡£
>

> popd
> # ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖýáÊø

The Windows2000 Version is Simplified Chinese.

> The Windows2000 Version is Simplified Chinese.

My experience (in addition to the English version)
is mostly with the MUI, and that mostly in French,
German, and Arabic so there isn't much I can say
to help if I cannot read the output.

I am sorry.

Does the NetSH dump give something that makes sense
to YOU (or other Chinese speakers)?

If so, does it work to just Exec it back into the machine?

If not, it is a bug -- you can report it that way.

Dump and Exec should work together even if you cannot
edit the intermediate file.

Set it up manually for one network, dump it. Set it up
for the other(s) and dump it(them).

Now you can exec the machine back to any previous
state.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

Thanks,that's enough.My main purpose is to know the comman
format,being able to use it in broadband connection is much
better than in dial connection.I have learned a lot.
Thanks once more in our chinese way!
An

> No, but I've been thinking about other ways to organize this mess. I have
> over 5500 favorites. I use CopyURL to copy/paste the links to text (such
as
> in a post), but it's cumbersome having that many. Sometimes I think the
> system gets hung when parsing them sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion -- already found some lost nuggets
of gold due to your suggestion and using the program.

NoNags (I haven't used them in months, maybe years.)

--

message news:OBUKilpZFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

In news:eWy8VAXaFHA.724@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
An <pinetree@sohu.com> stated, and I replied below:
> Thanks,that's enough.My main purpose is to know the comman
> format,being able to use it in broadband connection is much
> better than in dial connection.I have learned a lot.
> Thanks once more in our chinese way!
> An

I'm sorry, I cannot understand the output either. I hope you have enough
information from Herb and I in order to achieve your goal.

:)

Ace

In news:eCWX3FjaFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> stated, and I replied below:

> Thanks for the suggestion -- already found some lost nuggets
> of gold due to your suggestion and using the program.
>
> NoNags (I haven't used them in months, maybe years.)

Cool. Good to hear. I'm still looking for a decent easier method. I'm not
quite ready to take the OneNote plunge yet.

Ace

message news:uwnhqIxaFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> In news:eCWX3FjaFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> stated, and I replied below:
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion -- already found some lost nuggets
> > of gold due to your suggestion and using the program.
> >
> > NoNags (I haven't used them in months, maybe years.)
> >

> Cool. Good to hear. I'm still looking for a decent easier method. I'm not
> quite ready to take the OneNote plunge yet.

Take it man -- you will know within a week or two and
you CAN get out of the water if it's too cold.

I think I am pretty much hooked. Although today may be the
first day in a week or two when I didn't add anything to OneNote
and only peeked in there a couple of times. (But very few Google
searches either.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

In news:OvgdGKzaFHA.2968@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> stated, and I replied below:
> Take it man -- you will know within a week or two and
> you CAN get out of the water if it's too cold.
>
> I think I am pretty much hooked. Although today may be the
> first day in a week or two when I didn't add anything to OneNote
> and only peeked in there a couple of times. (But very few Google
> searches either.)

I just found a product called Onfolio
www.onfolio.com

Since you're familiar with OneNote, can you take a look at this and compare
it?

Thanks,
Ace

Ok, but not this week probably.

This does seem a similar product -- and it has a similar
price but of course I already own OneNote so the $100
for Onfolio is no comparision for me.

The RSS feeds are intriguing -- as I have a free one (Pluck)
but don't really like ANY of the RSS readers that I have
tried.

So IF it works conveniently it might be cool.

One thing, these things aren't really worth trying for 10
minutes -- you have to really USE them for a week or two
to start to get a real idea.

Imagine trying to evaluate an email client in 20 minutes.
(Or a NewsReader etc.)

--

message news:#BjwkR8aFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

In news:%23bHEOC%23aFHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> stated, and I replied below:
> Ok, but not this week probably.
>
> This does seem a similar product -- and it has a similar
> price but of course I already own OneNote so the $100
> for Onfolio is no comparision for me.
>
> The RSS feeds are intriguing -- as I have a free one (Pluck)
> but don't really like ANY of the RSS readers that I have
> tried.
>
> So IF it works conveniently it might be cool.
>
> One thing, these things aren't really worth trying for 10
> minutes -- you have to really USE them for a week or two
> to start to get a real idea.
>
> Imagine trying to evaluate an email client in 20 minutes.
> (Or a NewsReader etc.)

I understand. I thought if you get a chance to do it, you;'ve already used
OneNote to compare it.

Yes, I like the RSS feature too. I know OneNote doesn't support that.

If you have time, that would be cool...
Ace

An wrote:
> Thanks!
> I know how to set the DNS server adress in the GUI interface.
> I want to know whether there is any command in command line mode.
> -----------------------------------
> An

There are many ways to do it for Windows 2000, XP and 2003. One way is using
the netsh command. You can also search the numerous VB scripts at either
Microsoft's Script Center at www.technet.com, or you can also try some 3rd
party VB scripting sites on the web. One place I've found that has been
helpful is at http://cwashington.netreach.net where many have freely
contributed to the site.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??

Use dnscmd