*How To Ask For New Build Advice*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

banthracis

Distinguished
Just get cheapest SATA optical. Asking the best optical drive is like going into staples and asking them what their best No 2 pencil for sale it.

Yes you can probably justify one as better, but in practice they all do the same thing equally as well.

k10man

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Alright, understood...just went on newegg.com and people going crazy on commenting which drive is better and so on. Thanks.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
You should be able to find something for around $16-17 with free shipping. Just get that one. :) As banthracis is implying, DVD drives have been around long enough at this point that there aren't any real differences. In the unlikely event you get a dud, just RMA it.

And 90 GB should be more than fine for an SSD. I have a 60 GB in my HTPC, and a 128 GB in my gaming machine. I just wouldn't go lower than 60 GB for a standard use PC. Maybe for a netbook or something similar.

k10man

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Yeah, I am not worried as much about the dvd...found one on amazon for 19 with shipping included. The BD burner was more concerning, first time buyer for one of those. Most of them have the same stuff, but people seem to have complained about certain brands more than others, just was not sure if one brand was better than another for overall quality.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Do you really need a Blu-ray burner? Unless you have a true need for it or have money burning a hole in your pocket, I'm not sure they're worth the cost right now. I'd stick with a Blu-ray reader or combo drive (Blu-ray reader, DVD burner).

k10man

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Not convinced I have the need, or want for one. Just figured I would ask to see. Rather spend the money elsewhere if not needed.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Very few people need Bu-ray burners right now. Unless you're making video content that is intended to be on Blu-ray, or you have the need to store over 8 GB (up to 25ish GB) on a single disc for some reason, I would advise against them for the time being.

Blu-ray readers can be had for $50ish, and combo drives tend to be around $80 or 90. If you want the ability to watch Blu-ray movies, that's what I would recommend.

k10man

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Just getting the dvd burner. I have PS3 for blu-ray anyways.
I am only waiting on a few more parts to be delivered so I can build.
Only thing I have not bought yet is a graphics card because I am still looking around for deals on a few. I like the sounds of the 6950 on amazon for 269 USD.

k10man

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Well, finally done the build. Works good with a few minor kinks. For some reason it does not like the Mozilla Firefox to be installed, turned off firewall and error comes up saying it is a corrupt file...hmm. Would say it is a website issue but continued on to Raptr.com to download and install that program and it came up with one as well. Are they designed for 64-bit OS? Installed Itunes, MS Office, Safari, AIM, drivers, Nero, CS5, etc without issue.

k10man

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
I will have to play around with the computer when I get out of work and try to figure it out. I am sure it is something small that I did to have it not work. Thanks for the help Screwy. And thanks to everyone for all the help with the build.