[SOLVED] How to associate ICO files with image organizer but keep their individual icons visible in Windows Explorer?

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
After associating ICO file-format with an image organizer / file manager my ICO files started in this program and in Windows Explorer to display the icon of this image organizer. But I need to see icons when I navigate through folders containing ICO files and not just one and the same icon for everywhere for every ICO file

So how can I set this program to handle ICO files - but not affect how they are shown in other programs?

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746 x64

Solution
Hi, I dealt with this same issue recently. First set up your file association for ICO files with whatever program that you want to handle them. Then download and run Default Programs Editor (no setup needed).

Create the backup of registry settings (at the bottom of the program).

Then, click on:
  • File Type Settings
  • Icon
  • Type .ico in the search dialog. You may have to backspace and try this a few times, it a bit buggy. Keep trying until you see "ICO File" listed below.
  • Select ICO File in the list and choose Next.
  • Click on "Use the file's own path for the icon"
  • Click Save Icon at the bottom.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I dealt with this same issue recently. First set up your file association for ICO files with whatever program that you want to handle them. Then download and run Default Programs Editor (no setup needed).

Create the backup of registry settings (at the bottom of the program).

Then, click on:
  • File Type Settings
  • Icon
  • Type .ico in the search dialog. You may have to backspace and try this a few times, it a bit buggy. Keep trying until you see "ICO File" listed below.
  • Select ICO File in the list and choose Next.
  • Click on "Use the file's own path for the icon"
  • Click Save Icon at the bottom.

Solution