Question How to associate .jpg files with Irfanview

bacca400

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
I have Windows 11 Home. I have many image files on a flash drive (and other HDDs) some of which are .jpg files. In Control Panel there is no .jpg entry for me to change the default application for JPG or JPEG files. Also, when I right click on the file, click More Options, click Open With, then Irfanview, there is no dialog box for me to always make Irfanview the default app for images.

I also right clicked Irfanview and did Run As Admin, the set file associations, but the .jpg file association didn't save, probably because it doesn't exist in Windows in the first place.

Also when I right click the image, then choose More Options, then Open with, then Choose Another App, it lets me choose Irfanview but there is no checkbox to make it always open with Irfanview.

The weird thing is, there's no file association for JPG files in Control Panel but they open with MS Photos anyway.

How do I add the .jpg filetype so I can associate it with Irfanview?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The way I do it is to find the .jpg file using explorer then right click on it. In the context menu that opens select "Open With >". Another list dialogue opens with a list of program candidates. If Irfanview is properly installed it should appear there. If not select the "Choose Another App" option and then "Look for another App " at the bottom of the scroll lists and then navigate to the location of the Irfanview executable.

Be sure to put a check in the "Always use this app...." box if that's your desired default behavior. But even if you don't it should now appear in the first list after selecting "Open With >" when you right click on any .jpg file in Explorer.

Last edited:
You have to go to settings>default apps> choose defaults by file type.
If you don't have .jpg and .jpeg there then there is something very wrong with your install.
Sadly you have to change each type by hand...
Maybe (very probably) there is an easier way to do it by editing the registry, but there is also no risk when doing it by hand.

bacca400

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
The way I do it is to find the .jpg file using explorer then right click on it. In the context menu that opens select "Open With >". Another list dialogue opens with a list of program candidates. If Irfanview is properly installed it should appear there. If not select the "Choose Another App" option and then "Look for another App " at the bottom of the scroll lists and then navigate to the location of the Irfanview executable.

Be sure to put a check in the "Always use this app...." box if that's your desired default behavior. But even if you don't it should now appear in the first list after selecting "Open With >" when you right click on any .jpg file in Explorer.
When I do that I don't have an "Always use this app" checkbox.

I did the regular Windows 11 Home setup and I'm not even sure I have admin access. I'm the only user on this PC. Maybe that's the issue.

bacca400

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
The first user created in a new install IS admin.

Did you install this OS?
No I didn't install the OS. It was a new HP PC. The OS is installed by someone else and when I turned it on it goes through the regular Windows setup, asking me for my new username, my Microsoft account info, etc. I believe Windows is an OEM version put on the PC by a major company.

How would I tell for sure if I have admin access?

Last edited:

bacca400

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
@USAFRet I see a window with the title "User account control" and with the text "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" With "Yes" and "No" buttons.

At this point I'd probably have to edit the registry so I'm ok with that. I just don't know what to edit or add in the registry.