[SOLVED] How to attach ARGB fans into Motherboard?

Jan 10, 2021
So trying to read through similar message on here, but I noticed a lot of answers depend on the MoBo, the case, and the type of fans. So here is what I have (or am planning on getting):

Motherboard: ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming Motherboard
Case: CoolerMaster MB320L
Fans: CoolerMaster Sickleflow 120 ARGB

I also have a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 CPU Cooling Fan coming in as well. So in total, there will be 5 RGB fans along with a CPU Cooling Fan that will need to be installed into the Motherboard. Is this Motherboard sufficient enough, or will I need to purchase something like a Hub in order to properly wire all of those fans?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
The key document to answer such questions is the motherboard's User Manual.

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B550 Phantom Gaming 4ac.pdf

Do verify that I identified the correct motherboard and User Manual.

RGB headers and information are presented on physically numbered Pages 7 & 8 . Reference Connectors #7 and #8 (coincidental numbering).

On board headers and connectors are presented in Section 2.6, starting with physically numbered Page 28.

Connector's 7 & 8 are addressed in detail on physically numbered Page 32. Note the bold caution warnings.

Point being is that you must carefully read the installation documentation and also check the motherboard's website for any updates and changes.

You must...

Ralston18

Titan
The key document to answer such questions is the motherboard's User Manual.

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B550 Phantom Gaming 4ac.pdf

Do verify that I identified the correct motherboard and User Manual.

RGB headers and information are presented on physically numbered Pages 7 & 8 . Reference Connectors #7 and #8 (coincidental numbering).

On board headers and connectors are presented in Section 2.6, starting with physically numbered Page 28.

Connector's 7 & 8 are addressed in detail on physically numbered Page 32. Note the bold caution warnings.

Point being is that you must carefully read the installation documentation and also check the motherboard's website for any updates and changes.

You must likewise read and refer to the RGB fan documentation along with the documentation for all other components.

Starting with ensuring that the PSU will handle the total system power requirements and that the fans/case are correctly placed for proper cooling.

My recommendation is to plan it all out as you would like to have the build configured.

Post accordingly.

Details matter.

Solution
Jan 10, 2021
Thank you for the fast reply! Yes that is the correct Motherboard (I do not have it in hand, as I have yet to purchase it, but that is the one I plan to purchase). Thank you for mapping that out for me and explaining it the way you did, it definitely helped me understand a little bit better.

Another question I have: it states in the User Manuel about setting up an "LED Strip" to those plugs. Does it specifically have to be an LED Strip, or can I use those plugs to power my ARGB fans?

According to ASRock's website, each ARGB Header can support up to 5V/3A, so that should be more than enough to power my fans.

Each SickleFlow ARGB Fan has a "RGB Rated Current" of 0.21A", but it also lists a "Fan Rated Current of 0.15A". Not sure which one I should follow, but just to be on the safe side, I would use the "Fan Safety Current" measure of 0.37A per fan.

So even though each ARGB Header could support up to 3A, even if I did 3 fans per Header, it would only use about 1A per Header.

Does that sound appropriate?