How to Automatically Check & Switch to Fastest DNS Server??

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPen

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
After running DNS Jumper 2.0 and running the test on only US servers since I'm located in Chicagoland, I noticed that my ISP's DNS server was slower than the OpenDNS and Google DNS servers (e.g. 208.67.220.220; 8.8.8.8; and 8.8.4.4).

In Windows 10 Pro, I set my preferred and alternate DNS Servers to the OpenDNS and Google DNS Servers, respectively, in the order shown in DNS Jumper 2.0. I set this manually in Windows, even though I could have DNS Jumper 2.0 automatically set it.

However, sometimes the results seem inconsistent and other DNS Servers return faster results. I know there may be other variables to consider like traffic, internet speed plan (I have a min. 50-75 mbps connection), and hardware issues like a failing router; but looking only to resolving the optimal DNS Server, is there a way to periodically and automatically have Windows check for the fastest DNS Servers in the background?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that if I run several DNS server tests, and make a list of 12 (+ the ISP's default) DNS servers in speed rank order, I'd tell Windows to look to that list. If the results fall below a certain threshold (e.g. 40 ms), it'll automatically check for the fastest DNS server at that time and connect to it. If there's no faster DNS server, then it'll check in regular intervals. If it's within the threshold, then despite a faster DNS, there's no need to switch. Is there a program that does this? I think that Windows already roughly follows this logic (or a more logical / complex algorithm) with the automatic and preferred / alternate DNS settings, but I'd like Windows to follow a custom list of more than two DNS servers.

Thanks in advance!

iPen

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

I'm trying to optimize everything that I can for playing BF4.

DNS likely will have no impact at all on BF4. DNS is only used for conversion of names to ip address. Games in most cases use direct ip already but it it is only used at the very start. It will generally look the name up only 1 time so how much difference can that possibly make.

Just use google dns they have multiple servers in multiple cities with one likely very near you.....and they all use the same 8.8.8.8 ip so if one fails it just switches.

As bill001g says, the game may resolve a server name at startup once and use the local dns cache later. And I always Internet providers dns, because it may contain optimizations for frequently used sites.

iPen

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

Thanks, at least I know I won't have to worry about DNS and focus on other factors.

And, I take it that it's a bad idea to frequently flush my DNS if it uses that cache to index my previously used IP addresses?

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Many home routers supports DNS caching. I setup mine and I have a 0ms-1ms average DNS response time. Like bill001g said, DNS is only used to translate names to IP addresses. Once an IP address is resolved, DNS no longer has an bearing on performance. Another way of saying it, is DNS only affects how quickly you can connect to a server for the first time, when using the DNS name instead of the IP address. If you used the IP address directly, DNS is not even used.

Now you got it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.