[SOLVED] How to back-up a dual-boot system in a fast way?

May 12, 2020
The primary and only drive of my home laptop Dell Precision M6700 has an MBR partitioning scheme and four partitions:
  1. NTFS: Windows 10 system, programs, and admin directory, 128 GB
  2. NTFS: Windows 10 normal users' data (migrated from C:\Users), 128 GB
  3. Ext4: Debian 10 root / except /home, 128 GB
  4. Ext4: Debian 10 /home, 128 GB
The system is dual-boot, the boot manager is grub.
How do I back up the laptop regularly in a single-push-button way? That is, I wish to push a button in the evening from whichever operating system I was working last and then go to sleep; after backing up the laptop should turn itself off or enter an energy-saving mode of some kind. The backed up data should not leave the house (so, using a cloud service is out of scope).
I don't have a second reliable computer at my disposal to support the backup; I can afford cheap USB thumb drives, a cheap external SSD drive, using DVDs or similar external devices. The laptop manual is here.

Last edited:
Solution
I'm not aware of any one size fits all that works from either Debian or Windows, but from a running or sleeping Windows instance, I'm fairly confident Macrium Reflect will do most of what you need.
Full drive backup, all partitions, to whatever external thing of sufficient size.

Don't even have to push a button, that will do it on whatever schedule you set up.

The Free version is...free.
Try it and see if it meets your needs.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm not aware of any one size fits all that works from either Debian or Windows, but from a running or sleeping Windows instance, I'm fairly confident Macrium Reflect will do most of what you need.
Full drive backup, all partitions, to whatever external thing of sufficient size.

Don't even have to push a button, that will do it on whatever schedule you set up.

The Free version is...free.
Try it and see if it meets your needs.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
No, no Linux client but no problem with backing up any format. There are many options to use it in windows, you can make boot entry for booting straight to rescue boot menu and also to use just from rescue media like bootable USB or DVD. Can even uninstall it from windows if you don't want automatic backup, full or incremental.

Last edited: