How to backup Steam Games and saves?

itspriyank

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hi I am using Windows 8 and Steam on it.
I am facing some problems on Windows 8 so I want to reset my PC but before that I want to backup Steam Games + Save Games. But I am not able to find an appropriate answer on how to do it. Please help me to do that?

I have the retail DVD of Windows 8 Pro.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hi, you could go to Documents/My Games and copy all the saves to a flash drive then just copy and paste them back in the appropriate folder when you need. I've done it with Bethesda games like New Vegas, Oblivion and Skyrim. Those games you would hate to have to start over from the beginning because of a fresh install of Windows.

itspriyank

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I have already copied skyrim saves from my documents but what about games like bioshock infinite and tomb raider 2013. Also i want to backup the installations and download data of those games.

jevums

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
i had the same problem. just copy the steamapps folder to your external hard disk. do reset window 8. after that install steam. paste back the steamapps to your steam installation. your are done.

thunderlord

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
i find this dont always work. i lost my last laptop to a boot vruis and all of my saves from fallout NV and sims3 AND deadspace, DI and all of my others never passed threw to this new laptop.. =(

sad i have done well over 300+ hrs on fallout. i dono y but ya =_=

yawar-abass-gazi

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
hey ... my frnd .gave me tomb raider pc game setup... 1 data file is missing from it.,.. so i cannot complete the installation processs. what i have to do knw.... where i can get the 1 part data of setup...???

yawar-abass-gazi

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
hey ... my frnd .gave me tomb raider pc game setup... 1 data file is missing from it.,.. so i cannot complete the installation processs. what i have to do knw.... where i can get the 1 part data of setup...???

JCervi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
I had the same question a long time ago as well. It seems like steam really doesn't want you to "save" the games liek you used to be able to do. What I did though was, when I downloaded a new game, before I installed it through steam, I foudn where steam put the DL files, and copied those. Then when I built a new PC, I put those files back into the steam folder, and I only had to DL a few things, not the whole game again.

It is stupid though that they make re-download the whole thing again. Why not just let you save a hard copy and just re-initalize it through steam. That will still keep people from pirating it seeing how you need to run those games through Steam, and you should just re-enter your CD key or something similar.

Brianofoo

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

I know of a great product that allows you to do just this http://www.gamebackupsystem.com/?hop=briano7 .

owen_heh

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

Go to your hard drive > program files x86 > steam... then copy the Steam apps folder onto an external hard drive as well as steam.exe. Put those files back onto your computer after reset. Then open steam.exe and done. I know this is like a year late but I am writing this for everyone else sees this thread.

There are multiple folders you will need to check for saves. All of these may contain save games from games that are in your steam account
:
1. C/my documents (my games folder, saved games folder and any individual game save folders)
2. ....steam/steam apps/userdata (the entire userdata folder)
3. c/users/(your user name)/appdata/local
4. c/users/(your user name)/appdata/locallow
5. c/users/(your user name)/appdata/roaming

thunderlord

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
there in 2 folders where where you placed your main steam DMR and normally they are in my doc. some times some games make there own save folder from the maker.

i find backing up your full games will also save alot of time downloading..