Question how to backup Win 10 recycle bin files

Status
Not open for further replies.

solquest

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Hello.

I've done a massive delete of files on a shared windows pc, moving them into Recycle bin.

At the moment I'm checking if I have deleted too many things, so I'd like to backup the recycle bin in case someone else empty it before I've done all my checks.

I know I can cut files into another folder, but I'd need to keep also the info of the original path (in case I have to restore them after someone emptied the recycle bin).

Is there a way (maybe via cmd or in another way) for doing this?

Thanks!

solquest

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Thanks.
But is there a way for copying files and keeping (maybe on a txt file) the original path of those files?
In case I have to restore them after someone emptied the recycle bin...

having a backup of the whole system seems a bit too much, as I need this only for the time I'm checking the deleted files...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I don't understand what's going at all here. You don't put files in a recycle bin and then review them. You don't clean out your refrigerator by putting everything in the garbage can and then taking out the things you want to keep. I've never heard of anyone trying to back up a recycle bin before because anything you would accomplish with this bizarre method of sifting through files could be done with a far less crazy method.

solquest

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I don't understand what's going at all here. You don't put files in a recycle bin and then review them. You don't clean out your refrigerator by putting everything in the garbage can and then taking out the things you want to keep. I've never heard of anyone trying to back up a recycle bin before because anything you would accomplish with this bizarre method of sifting through files could be done with a far less crazy method.

Probably is true, but I had to check 2176972 files and to delete some of them (with some logic). So I've done it using a cmd (and it deleted 481838 of them).
Now I'm checking if everything went ok and the cmd didn't delete too many thing, but I'm scared that someone empty the recycle bin before I finish.
I guess there was a less crazy method, but when I've done it I thought this was the best one.

solquest

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
True...so I can copy those files into another folder, but the problem is that I need also the original location (also in a txt file), in case I have to restore some files after recycle bin is emptied...

Once the recycle bin is emptied, the sectors occupied by those files are returned to the OS for immediate reuse, making your mythical backup of the Recycle Bin completely useless. Bottom line here is that you cannot use the Recycle Bin in the manner you propose.

solquest

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Thanks a lot for your clear example, but given that the garbage shows where the fridge is (I can see Original location in the Recycle Bin) I would expected to save it

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks a lot for your clear example, but given that the garbage shows where the fridge is (I can see Original location in the Recycle Bin) I would expected to save it
Even worse, the 'garbage can' does not even have the rotten onion in it. It has simply put a Cloak of Invisibility around that onion, still in the fridge. It's still 'there', but you are not allowed to see it.
Some other entity is holding the ON/OFF/Restore switch for that Cloak.
And you can't read that directly.

Bottom line, as has been said here already...you're trying to use the wrong tool for what you're apparently trying to do.

solquest

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
if the files still show present in recycle bin, why can you not simply restore them? (a right click option)

I don't want to restore them.
Just want to copy them in case someone empties it.
By the way, I've found out a way (via powershell) for saving filename and original path for all the files in the recycle bin..

True...so I can copy those files into another folder, but the problem is that I need also the original location (also in a txt file), in case I have to restore some files after recycle bin is emptied...
What crazy way of doing things... :)

Maybe get a DETAILED listing of all the items in the bin, with directory info, into a text file, in case you have to go back to them. Then make your copy. U just hope there aren't many duplicated file names.

Status
Not open for further replies.