How to best move files from a laptop to a new PC

dudebob2491

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2014
Hi all, I have recently built a new PC and want to transfer my old files from my laptop over.

I'm currently sharing the files using Wi-Fi, but it is going very slowly at 0.5 - 1 MB/s while I have 200 GB+ of files to transfer...

I am wondering if there are any other better methods to do this. I read about using a Gbit Crossover ethernet cable, but I had messed up my Mobo's I/O shield on my new PC and the ethernet port is blocked by one of those pop up metal parts... Also, I only have a 80 GB external HDD bought many years ago. I haven't tried it, but I think it may be even slower than my Wi-Fi method.

If you guys know of any other method that I haven't found in my research, please let me know!!

Havo_k

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
If your internet is good, you may also want to consider uploading to dropbox and then download it to your new pc. 50GB of storage is free I believe, but there are many file hosting sites like mega or mediafire if that isnt the case. Im sure it has 50gb free though.

Im just suggesting a totally free way of doing things.

If you aren't going to use this old PC anymore, just remove the hard drives from it and put them into your new pc. This will be the fastest way of doing things. Then maybe you can buy a cheap hdd from craiglist to put in your old pc if you want to ever use it again.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Yes, USB sticks unless you can cable into a router that the desktop also uses. Or... shut down the notebook, pull out the hard-drive and plug it into a 'docking station' or some other USB-cabling connection.

Or, if I could also open up my desktop, then I could plug the notebook's hard-drive into the motherboard's connectors.

But the "USB Stick" - while their Write and Read times can be horrendously slow - will be an easy way. If you had 2 or 3 smaller sticks, fill one up and start using that on your desktop while you fill up #2, and so on.

TRENDING THREADS