[SOLVED] How to block an IP address for a single app ?

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Everytime I launch CS:GO it connects to a blogpost and downloads all of the news. It hogs my internet bandwith which is quite low.
How can I block the IP address of a blogpost just for CS:GO, and not for anything else ?

Solution
You could use your router's firewall feature to manage which IP's get blocked off. You can conversely do it in your OS, if you're using Windows Defender(firewall). You could follow through this guide. If you'd like to tinker with your router, best provide the make and model of said router in your crib.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
How does it happen that your game is connecting to and launching a blog?

Where did you obtain the game from?
The game is counter strike global offensive on steam. Every time I load up my game and when I press escape to go into my settings. It reloads all of the data from this website: blog.counter-strike.net
It contains a lot of pictures which hogs all of my bandwidth and thus cause huge ping spikes.

USAFRet

Titan
The game is counter strike global offensive on steam. Every time I load up my game and when I press escape to go into my settings. It reloads all of the data from this website: blog.counter-strike.net
It contains a lot of pictures which hogs all of my bandwidth and thus cause huge ping spikes.
I don't play that game, but surely there is a setting to turn that OFF.

I don't know if you can block just 1 app. Is the IP the same or different than the game itself uses.

So as indicated above you might be able to block it in the router. You also likely can block it in the windows firewall. If there is any ability to only block by app it would be the windows firewall that could do it.

Now if you really get stuck you can use the ROUTE command and add a route for that 1 ip address and send it to some other IP than your router. Since all traffic must go to your router first to get to the internet that IP would in effect get lost.

Ralston18

Titan
If no CS:GO setting to turn it off......

I will add the suggestion to look in Task Scheduler.

When CS:GO is launched there may be some trigger that opens or otherwise invokes a connection to the website > blog.counter-strike.net

May or may not be directly obvious.

Task Manager and Process Explorer may likewise help find and identify some culprit app.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer