How to block someone from Lan

Nov 1, 2018
Hi, im living with a roommate and he and i used to have wifi now im the only one with wifi but i told him if your going to use my wifi you have to help me pay the wifi he said no so i decided to use mac filter he cant connect to my wifi using his phone or whatever, but he got a laptop and he is using cable to use internet i just took the cable off and told him he cant use my wifi if your not paying he told me to <mod edit> i said aight and he keeps using my wifi with his damn cable but im trying to lock him out of my wifi by closing or blocking the port his using his wifi on, i know his mac address and everything all i need to know is hownto block him, i tried almost anything can yall help me?

<Moderator Warning: Watch your language in these forums>

Disable DHCP on your router, and put LAN address on some strange subnet, line 10.15.30.xx. It will take some efforts to reconfigure your wired and wireless devices, and your roommate will have hard time figuring out how to connect. Also, check your router for MAC address filters on wired connection as well (and check whether you can use some custom firmware for it allowing for that).

If you have separate modem and router - move the router to your room, and keep your room under lock.

You can also try some low-tech methods, like a lockable enclosure blocking access to Ethernet ports.

stdragon

Admirable
What Alabalcho said - that's good and workable solution (I like the stick method better).

Keep the last octet between 2 and 254 for your assigned computers and devices. leave .1 for the router.

For Example.

IP = 10.15.30.20
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway (your router) = 10.15.30.1

DNS = 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 (you can use your ISP provided DNS IPs too, whichever you prefer)

USAFRet

Titan
This is mostly a social issue, not a technical issue.

You can block his MAC address.
He can change it.

You can block EVERYTHING except your devices.

Turn WiFi off completely.

"living with a roommate"
Does he pay an equitable portion of the rent and utilities? Food?
What is he not paying?
Whose name is on the ISP bill?

Ultimately, some people just need to be voted off the island.

It depends on how much trouble you really want to go through. If your router supports dd-wrt or other third party firmware you can disable the unused ethernet ports. If you use a good wifi password and disable WPS the wifi should be protected.

Still this may not be enough if he is that much of a idiot. It is very hard to prevent someone from unplugging your cables and plugging his in. They make physical cable locks that hotels etc use. Still some people will take the next step and factory reset your router to get past you when they have physical access.