How to boot computer without using case button? PS/2 button maybe?

Thraxan

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Hey all! So I moved house and I want to have my computer against the wall below the desk... however this would mean a crawl under the desk each time gah. So in the BIOS I can use PS/2 keyboard or mouse to boot the computer but like most people I use USB now.
Any ideas on what to do? I know I can just set to "sleep" but that is not a long term option.
I was thinking though there is a PS/2 on my motherboard so is there a product out there which is just say one button from a keyboard I could push? Is there something I can make? Or maybe rip apart something.

Thankies for any help offered!!

Specs:
Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker XL-ATX
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER Z87
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
CPU Custom Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked 2GB GDDR5
Memory: (16GB total) 4 x HyperX 4 GB 1600 MHz CL9 DDR3
PSU: Corsair CP-9020054-UK RM Series RM650

Solution
Run a 2 conductor cable(any old wire you have even the lightest speaker wire in the world would do) to a momentary contact switch in a small box on the desk.

This can be parallel to the existing cases power button.

Now hitting this button turns on the system and hitting it again can turn it off if the OS is set this way or put it to sleep/hibernation. If the system freezes you can even hold the button to force a power down.

I know it is not as easy as a keyboard that works, but it would work with any computer and once made it can be used on any board(just run the wire out the back from on of the water cooling holes most cases have).

Thraxan

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

Doubt it would work well since I mess with macros on it. Tis a Roccat Isku FX keyboard and my mouse is an Roccat Kone XTD so won't work either. Thank you though :)

Run a 2 conductor cable(any old wire you have even the lightest speaker wire in the world would do) to a momentary contact switch in a small box on the desk.

This can be parallel to the existing cases power button.

Now hitting this button turns on the system and hitting it again can turn it off if the OS is set this way or put it to sleep/hibernation. If the system freezes you can even hold the button to force a power down.

I know it is not as easy as a keyboard that works, but it would work with any computer and once made it can be used on any board(just run the wire out the back from on of the water cooling holes most cases have).

Solution

Thraxan

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

Thank you so much for the help! :)
That's what I am looking for! I am still learning, I didn't think of the actual switch being able to change it. So I looked online and found switches like they have for fighter pilots! (geeking out) which will now be my new on and off switch if I can find one to deliver here LOL
http://goo.gl/2DLa77

toggle_switch_pilot_pc_case_mod_compact_carbon_fiber.jpg

Make sure the switch is spring loaded to turn back off when you let go.

Depending on how you want to run the cable, a 3.5mm headphone jack may be a good and easy to get cable. Please watch for the fact that the sleeve of such a plug could ground on the case so isolating it would be required.

Once that is out of the way, you can use any old make to male 3.5mm cable to connect the switch to the system.

Wiring in the switch can either be to replace the systems power switch or run it parallel with the current switch.
If you can get ahold of headers(old boards or many websites like amazon/ebay/tayda/ect) and plugs(old CD audio cabled for computers work for this) you can make it so the unit connects to the board and the case switch connects to it(it can even be made without a board).

The standard board headers are 2.54mm or 0.1inch pitch. If you want to use a header to allow use of the stock case button and make it so you can swap this toy from computer to computer, the pin spacing will need to match.

This should give you an idea of what you are dealing with.
ngpl6o.jpg

Thraxan

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

I'll be honest it worries me a lil doing that. I am good at soldering and the like but mounting it is what is setting me back.
I looked on ebay for something similar and came across: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181622258130
It is an extension switch. I then looked it up on amazon for the off chance of reviews and it seems to be doing very well on there: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HG7HO22
I think this may suit me better. It would mean simply unplugging the power button I use at the mo and simply use this one. The length of the leads is perfect and if I need any extra length I will take your suggestion of the audio 3.5mm wires. Though I already have wire laying around from doing the TrackIR headset. I can solder them on for extra length and I still have shrink wrapping stuff so it should all be safe.