How to boot from Brand New Hard Drive ( Laptop )

Kuze__

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
I want to replace my current HDD to the HDD which i just unbox. The problem is my laptop can only store 1 HDD at once but the new HDD still not locate free storage into partition so i don't sure if i can use it to boot. So this is what i have know : +Currently use HDD
+ Brand New HDD
+ Windows 10 DVD
+My Laptop only have 1 HDD slot
thanks

Solution
Hey there, Kuze__.

If you want to make a fresh install, swap the old HDD for the new one. Change the boot priority options of your BIOS/UEFI so that the Optical Drive (DVD-Rom or BD-Rom) is the first booting device. Put your Windows DVD in it and restart computer. You should boot to your Windows installation and from then on you could follow this tutorial: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html (the tutorial mentions a USB, but it's the same proces with a Windows DVD).

Another option would be to connect the new drive externally via a SATA to USB adapter, external enclosure, or a docking station so that you can migrate/clone your old HDD over to the new one. Note that in order for the new one to be...
Hey there, Kuze__.

If you want to make a fresh install, swap the old HDD for the new one. Change the boot priority options of your BIOS/UEFI so that the Optical Drive (DVD-Rom or BD-Rom) is the first booting device. Put your Windows DVD in it and restart computer. You should boot to your Windows installation and from then on you could follow this tutorial: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html (the tutorial mentions a USB, but it's the same proces with a Windows DVD).

Another option would be to connect the new drive externally via a SATA to USB adapter, external enclosure, or a docking station so that you can migrate/clone your old HDD over to the new one. Note that in order for the new one to be recognized by the cloning software, you might have to initialize it first. Here's how to do it: How to initialize or write a signature to a hard drive or Solid State drive in Windows.

Just for your information, you could replace your Optical Drive with an HDD/SSD caddy so that you have a second slot for another drive. You'd have to get in touch with the laptop manufacturer and ask for a recommended caddy for your model.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions whatsoever.
Boogieman_WD

Solution